4/ The Screams

CHAPTER 4: THE SCREAMS

Not once in the two hours that passed, had Jason spoken – not a single word. The silence in the car was eerie while we waited for Hunter to return.

Sighing, I leaned forward, chin resting in my hands. What was taking him so long anyway?

Jason heaved a sigh, too.

“How are you doing?”

“Fine, I guess. I’m tired, but I think that’s only normal. Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that question, though?” I turned around a little so I could face him better. “Does it still hurt a lot?”

“You have no idea - even breathing hurts. Do you think we have any painkillers packed in the back? I can’t remember whether we brought them with us.”

The way Jason sat there so motionless, trying not to move, only added to my guilt. It was my fault my brothers had gotten into a fight and instead of doing anything about it, I stood by and let it happen.

“I’ll take a – are you sure I should be touching all those things? What if I’m infected after all? I’d only be making it more dangerous for you, and I don’t want that to happen…”

Jason shook his head ever so slightly. “You think you’re okay, right?”

“Yes,” I said, not knowing where Jason was going with this. “But, that’s still no guarantee that I’m not infected, Jason.”

“I trust you. Seriously, I do. If you say you’re alright, I believe you. Judging by the way I feel now, maybe having that stupid disease would be better.”

“Jason!” I fought the urge to hit him on the arm. “How can you say something like that? Don’t ever say things like that again – ever! I’ll look for those pills, but seriously, don’t say anything stupid like that!”

Jason mumbled something unintelligible in response, but I had turned around already, with my back at him, to get those damned pills. I had no idea where to look for them, so I had to go through everything. Unfortunately, none of it was a first aid kit or medication.

“Are you sure we brought painkillers?” I asked when I sat back down in my seat.

“Son of a –,” Jason hit the window with his fist. “I’m dying here!”

Not sure how to respond, I silently watched my brother lose his patience. Until that very moment, I hadn’t really thought it to be possible, but I was rather happy to see Hunter’s face when the card door swung open.

“Those people are crazy,” Hunter whistled, and when he saw Jason’s facial expression, he smirked. “Still not feeling any better?”

“Seriously? You’re going to act all funny? If I were you, I’d sleep with one eye open from now on.”

“Oh come on! As if it hurts that –” Hunter started to say in return, but I cut him off.

“Hunter, shut up!”

If they got violent outside, that was their business, but I wouldn’t stand by and let it happen inside a small and already crowded space.

“Stop annoying him. I don’t know what’s gotten into you. Seriously, try to act your age for once.  Truth be told, you’re becoming extremely irritating. Say what you have to say and then leave it at that. Now, did or did you not get a test?”

“Calm down, no need to get all worked up. And yes, I have a test – four actually.” He spoke with a glint in his eyes, holding up four paper strips.

“How did you manage to get four? I thought they were only going to hand out one test per person?”

“That’s a secret, and if I told you, I’d have to kill you.”