15

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 came up that morning, I'd been awake

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 came up that morning, I'd been awake. The shades were drawn shut in the guest room I was staying in, but the sunlight peeked out from the sides. I made sure not to look directly at the sun, just in case of a headache. After a couple of days with a nonstop headache, I was finally feeling better. I didn't want to hurt again, not after the excruciating pain I was in. 

Pulling the fuzzy blanket closer to my chin, I sucked in a deep breath. I sunk lower into my bed, burying my head into the pillow. I wasn't ready to get up yet. Nora had been getting me up pretty early these past couple of days, but today was going to be different. Wrapping my arms around my stomach, I curled up. The only person that was on my mind was Mako. His words echoed around my head. Just thinking about his hurt, and I didn't know why. 

Was Nora right? Was there a certain red string that attached you to your soulmate? If that were true, wouldn't Mako and I be together? Maybe not. Maybe Nora was wrong about all of it, and there was no such thing as soulmates. It would make sense, not having a soulmate, because I'd seen so many people without a significant other. 

The woman from the arena appeared in my mind. Sarrin and Iroh were the picturesque couples, and if the soulmates thing were true, they would be the definition of it. So would Nora and Hale. Maybe people did have soulmates, but I sure didn't. I couldn't believe that silly nonsense. Everything had a logical explanation, and so did love. 

There was a loud thud on the other side of the house, breaking me from my thoughts. Nora said something, but she was probably trying to be quiet so she wouldn't wake me. What she didn't know wouldn't hurt her. I didn't want to tell her yet that I was awake, just so I could stay in bed. I felt bad for tricking her, but I needed to. I needed to be by myself for a little bit right now, to sort through my emotions for Mako and tuck them away. 

It was easier than I thought it was going to be. I hardly had any memories with Mako, so it was easy to tuck them away in my heart. They wouldn't ever see the light of day again, but that was alright with me. I didn't want to see them anymore. They weren't exactly painful yet, but they might be later, so it was better to do that now. I didn't need him on my mind anymore since he didn't want to be in my life anymore. 

The soft sound of singing drifted down the hallway, and my ears perked up. It was one I had heard recently, but this time, Nora was singing the song. Her voice rose and fell, sounding as beautiful as it had the first day I met her. She had told me that she wanted to be a professional singer, but she didn't have the guts to pursue it. I guessed I didn't have the guts to chase after love when it appears right in front of me.

I slid out of the warm bed and into the cool bedroom. The dizzy spells that I had been getting lately were getting much better now. Everything about my concussion was getting better, but, somehow, I wasn't happy. I was happy that I was getting better, but I wasn't happy in general. Nothing made me smile anymore, not like I used to.