02

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 in place ten minutes later

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 in place ten minutes later. The boy -- Mako -- had stopped me in my tracks, his gorgeous smile burned in my mind. My heart thudded in my chest when I thought about him, and my head felt a little dizzy. I thought I had seen him before, but I wasn't sure where. Maybe I had seen him while walking around Republic City. Yeah, that had to be it. 

"Oh, Raya," Nora said in a singsong voice, snapping me out of my trance. Opening my eyes, Nora appeared in my vision, making me jump backward. I gripped the scarf in my fingers but loosened my grip when I felt the fabric shift. "That boy was handsome! If only I wasn't forty years older than him . . ."

I made a gagging noise, walking to my spot behind the counter. "You are way too old for him, Nora."

"But you aren't!" She followed me, a huge grin on her face. Giving her a look, I shook my head. "Oh, come on, Raya. You don't have to be such a prude."

"Hey!" I said, my voice ringing out in the empty shop. "I am not a prude."

"Only a prude would say that." 

Biting my tongue, I pushed back the retort that was needing to spill out. I gently set the scarf down on the glass table, stretching it out. "Sure, he may have been cute, but he's a customer. I am only fixing his scarf and that's it. Nothing is going to happen."

"I'm not so sure about that," Nora said, grabbing my hand in her thin one. She had a soft smile on her face as she said, "Have I ever told you how I met Hale?"

"No," I said, scrunching up my nose. Taking my hand of out hers, I ran my fingers along the threadbare scarf. "Are you going to tell me now?"

"Of course!" she said, her voice light and airy. Sometimes I swore that she was a bird in a past life. "It was a long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday." Glancing over at Nora, I saw a goofy little smile on her face. I had never seen her like that, and it was nice. "We shouldn't have met that day. You see, I just wanted to stay home and write the song that was stuck in my head. My best friend at the time begged me to go out and have a night of fun, and I finally broke. She knew how to get me out of the house." She giggled slightly, her cheeks reddening. "I did have fun that night. A lot of fun."

"I'm assuming you met Hale that night," I said, raising an eyebrow. Focusing my gaze back on the scarf, I said, "I don't need to know the full details of your night out, Nora."

"I didn't do anything like that," she said, hitting my shoulder. "I met him at a clothing store - one just like this one. We got to talking and I ended up ditching my friend to talk more with him. We talked and laughed and had an amazing time together but then the morning came and we were two different people. I didn't think I'd ever see him again but I did. It was fate, Raya."

"You believe in fate?" I turned to face the older woman and saw a certain light behind her chocolatey brown eyes. Her face was pulled back in the biggest smile I had ever seen, making my heart grow heavy. "I don't believe in fate. It's something that is made up to make people feel good about themselves."

"I not only believe in fate, I believe in the Red Thread of Fate." She pointed at the scarf, giggling. "This is a sign that you and that boy are meant to be."

"What?" I crossed my arms over my chest and hovered over the smaller woman, a frown on my face. "You think him bringing in his scarf is a sign?"

"It's red. Get it? The Red Thread of Fate?"

Sighing, I picked up the scarf and walked over to my bag. I gently set it on top of my things, slinging it over my shoulder. I draped my blue jacket over my arm. "No way. That is not true. Besides, Tahno doesn't like it when I talk to other boys."

"Tahno this, Tahno that," Nora said, waving her hand. "This is real, Raya. Trust me. It's what brought me and Hale together, and now it is bringing you and that boy together."

"Nope," I said, shaking my head. "You are wrong." Heading to the front of the building, I said, "I have to go. It's getting late and Tahno probably wants me home. I'll see you in the morning."

"Have a great night, sweetie!" Nora grinned at me from over the table. "And . . . just think about what I'm talking about. I know it seems weird to think about, but it is real and it is fate."

"Fine," I said slowly. I knew I probably wouldn't ever think about it again, but I needed to please Nora. She was like a mother figure to me, and I'd do anything to please her. "Bye!"

The cool air made goosebumps appear on my skin, but I didn't mind. This is what I should have been raised in, the snow and ice and cool weather. Republic City wasn't bad, but it wasn't like the Water Tribes. The gas lamps lit the way home for me, and illuminated in the light was my breath. A smile graced my face as I took a deep breath of the wintery air. 

"Raya!" a male's voice called out. Spinning around, I saw my brother stalking toward me. "You were supposed to be home thirty minutes ago!"

"I'm sorry," I said quickly. Tahno stopped right in front of me, and I could see a worried look in his eyes. That was always there when it came to me, which made me regretful. He didn't have to worry about me. I could take care of myself. "A customer came in right before closing time and I had to help him."

"Okay," he said, letting out a sigh of relief. "Okay."

"You don't have to be so worried about me," I said quietly. Patting his shoulder gently, I said, "I am older now. I can take care of myself."

"I know. I just . . . need to take care of you." He gave me a tight-lipped smile, his usually bright blue eyes dimmed. His bangs hung in his face, casting a shadow over his dark eyes. "Let's get home. I made dinner and it's amazing if I do say so myself."

"Good. I'm starving," I said with a laugh. Tahno wrapped an arm around my shoulder and led the way home. 

He was a different person around me, which made me happy. I was the only person he could be himself around, and I think he appreciated it. In everyday life, he was a cocky, mean jerk, but to me, he was nice and kind. He used to be cocky and rude to me, but ever since my accident, he's been nothing but gentle. He thought that I would break at one touch, but I was stronger than that. I would show him some time, and he would see the real me.