16

𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘, 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 time for me to go back to work

𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘, 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 time for me to go back to work. I was getting so bored at home that I began to rearrange the whole house. Tahno came home once and I had switched out the living room with our small library. I wasn't done switching out the rooms, though, and he tripped on all the books I had scattered around. He held in his anger, but I knew. I was a little upset with myself as well because the living room was one of the best rooms in the house, and now it was a library, which told me that it was time for me to go back to work. 

The morning was a cool one, but there wasn't snow on the ground. Spring was coming, which was a little depressing. Even if my accident had something to do with the snow, I still loved it. I was sad that winter was over. I shook my head. Maybe it was better than the winter was over. That way, my memories of the past few months could be left behind with the snow. It would be better that way, I decided. 

I shifted the bag from my left shoulder to my right, making sure that the scarf was still in there. I planned on giving it to Nora so that she could give it to Mako. Hopefully, she wouldn't ask me why I did it. She knew me better than that, so I trusted her. 

The door to the shop was open already, meaning I was late on my first day back since my concussion. I hoped Nora wasn't mad that I was late. She probably wasn't, though. I was her favorite employee (I was her only employee). "I'm sorry I'm late!" I said once I entered the store. Nora sat at the front desk, an easy smile on her face. "I promise to never do it again."

"That's what you told me on your first day," she said with a laugh. She stood up and walked over to me, throwing her arms around my shoulders. "I'm glad you're back."

"Me too."

We remained in that embrace for a second longer. When I pulled away from her, I stuffed my hand into my bag and said, "While I was at home, I finally fixed Mako's scarf."

She gasped when she saw the scarf. It looked much better than when he had brought it in for me to fix, especially with the new thread I laced into the old thread. The reds complemented each other well, and it looked much warmer than the old one did. 

"You weren't supposed to work on anything while you were off," Nora said immediately after inspecting the scarf. "But this is beautiful. It's by far your best work."

I smiled sadly. "I know. I can't give it to Mako, though. You're going to have to do that for me."

"You still haven't spoken to him?"

"No. Why would I?"

"Because you two are meant for each other."

I laughed without any humor. Nora and her silly ideas about love. I shoved the scarf into her hands, saying, "I don't believe that. If we were meant to be, why am I not with him? Why did he tell me that he doesn't want me in his life?" Nora only stared at me, a conflicted look on her face. "There's your answer."