3❦

3

❦𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮❦

Another week gone with no work, I'm running desperately low on cash and I'm starting to get worried.

Flipping through the newspaper I find the section I'm looking for and start to read through it.

It's my morning routine. I park at a supermarket and sleep in my car, then as soon as the newspapers get stocked I grab one and look for work. It's the safest way for me to find a job, it's more likely people who post in the newspaper actually want the work done that they are advertising for.

There is a group of workers who post up in front of a few stores around the city looking for work. I tried it a few times, but when the cars rolled up and saw a bunch of fit men with bags of tools and then a short skinny girl with a small tool bag, I hardly ever got picked.

The few times I did, the guys ended up wanting extra favors, ones I wasn't comfortable with, just flat out disgusting suggestions. Not to mention the other workers that I had to stand next to all day waiting to get hired, I got tired of the name calling and innuendos real fast.

So now I search the newspaper for odd jobs, most of the time as soon as they hear my voice I get rejected. That's what's been happening this past week, I've called so many people, but got turned down right away for every single one.

I don't even have a cell that works, so each time I need to make a call I have to either use a payphone, or ask a store if I can use theirs. Currently I'm using the last option because I'm running on nickels and dimes. I can't afford to use a payphone right now, even though that's what I prefer.

I hate asking the employees if I can use the phone. Most of the time there is some weird combination you have to enter before you can call out, and I almost always mess that up. Throw in the fact there is no privacy and everyone is listening to me trying to get a job mowing someone's lawn, only to be shut down.

I hate it, but I don't have another option right now.

⇿♡⇿♡⇿♡⇿♡⇿

"Hi, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could use the phone to make a few quick calls?" I ask the lady at the help desk.

She looks like she woke up on the wrong side of the bed, I'm just a tad bit scared she's going to be pissed at me for asking.

"Why the hell don't you have a cellphone?" She snaps at me and I flinch back a little at her tone.

Ok, I wasn't expecting that.

"Uhh." I start, but she puts her hand up to stop me.

"You know what, I don't even care. You can use that phone over on that wall. Make sure to hang it back up when you're done. Last person left it dangling like a deflated balloon and it pissed me the heck off." She snaps.

Taking a deep breath I whisper a thank you and walk over to the phone. With how crappy my week has been, her attitude makes me want to curl up in a ball, cover myself with a blanket and not interact with people for the next few days. But I have people to call, and hopefully jobs to book.

I found two listings I could handle. Most of the ones in the newspaper today were looking for two or more people, most people only consider me a half of a person, so I'm not even going to try to convince them to hire me. Punching in the first number it rings two times before a man picks up.

"Hello?" A deep voice speaks.

"Hi, my name's Rose. I'm calling about the listing you put in the newspaper." I speak, trying to keep my voice steady and not stumble over my words. I hate speaking on the phone.