40♦

40

♦𝕭𝖑𝖆𝖐𝖊♦

Rose sleeps curled up in my arms. It's early into the morning now and I haven't been able to wind down, or manage to get any sleep at all.

While Cash had Rose distracted, Max said some things. He admitted to some stuff that has my gut twisting and turning.

The only thing that's keeping me sane is that Rose is no longer in that house, her brother is in jail and Max is scared shitless after I broke his arm and fractured his jaw.

I wanted to do more, in the moment I wanted to make him take his last breath. Ace had to pull me off of him before I did, in hindsight I'm grateful that he did.

I was beyond mad in the moment though, I wanted to do whatever it took to make sure Rose is safe and him six feet under would make the world a little safer for her.

But the cops will ignore people with their faces bashed in around there on a day a fight is happening. A dead body is forcing them to step in, and nobody's happy with that.

So while I might have eliminated one threat for good, I'd be sitting behind bars leaving her vulnerable to the rest.

"What time is it?" Rose's soft morning voice fans across my chest.

"Nine." I grumble back. If she's asking what time it is, that means she's going to be getting up, and I just want her to stay in my arms for the rest of the day.

"Nine?" She gasps out, pushing off my chest and sitting up. I let out a groan of annoyance. Get back here you little fucker.

My hands reach out for her but she skillfully dodges them. "I'm supposed to be at Bella's right now!"

Rose is out of the bed in seconds, grabbing clothes and running to the bathroom. I forgot it's Saturday, her and Bella have deemed Saturday morning a friendship breakfast day.

They make a new fancy looking meal every time and I'm not invited, but Rose always brings me back a plate. That's how I know she hasn't got tired of me yet, even when she's hanging out with her friend she thinks about me too.

I grab the blanket and pull it to my chest, rolling over on my side with what Rose would call my pouty face.

"I'll be back in a few hours." Rose says from the bedroom door as she tries to leave. All she gets is a moody huff back from me, my arms feel cold now and this blanket isn't doing shit for me.

The only way they'll be satisfied is if she hops back in bed with me. But no, she has to go hang out with her friend and leave me here all alone.

The brush of soft lips on my cheek has my heart stop and my eyes opening. Rose is leaning over me, kissing my cheek and suddenly I feel like a new man.

"Get some sleep, I'll bring you breakfast in bed later." She whispers then places another kiss on my cheek.

She leaves, but not before smirking at the wide ass smile I have on my face now. Fucking hell that girl makes me feel so many things I never thought possible.

I thought people were talking out their ass when they said stuff about getting butterflies. Now a whole swarm of them attack me whenever she's near.

I close my eyes again when I hear the front door shut. Might as well try to get some sleep again since I have nothing better to do now.

⇼♢⇼♢⇼♢⇼♢⇼

"Blake!" The voice sounds urgent but far away, like I'm dreaming but awake at the same time.