15❦

15

❦𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮❦

"Thank you." I smile gratefully to the man who just handed me a wad of cash.

I've had a tough few weeks trying to track down jobs. The noises Jack is making just seem to be getting worse and I can't figure out what's wrong.

On top of that someone broke into him last week and stole pretty much everything I own, my clothes, money, food and they broke a window to do get inside.

I was able to make enough to get the window repaired yesterday and I just made another hundred from doing some repairs on a rental property.

Now I'll be able to get some gas, and a few essential items like toiletries and more water. I was lucky enough to get another bag of expired food from Jean at the gas station a day after the break in, so at least I haven't been going hungry.

I stuff the money in my backpack that was with me at the time of the break in, and swing it over my shoulder.

I'm the most bummed that they stole the nice clothes Olivia gave me, now I'm left with just my overalls, a black t-shirt, one set of underclothes, a pair of socks and one set of rundown shoes that I can stick my big toe through a hole that has been worn through the bottom of.

As soon as I figure out what's wrong with Jack and buy the parts to fix him up, the first thing I'm going to do is go thrifting for at least one more set of clothes.

After buying some toiletries from the dollar store with the money I just got, I drive over to Jean's station to get gas.

"Hi Jean." I'm excited to see her again, she always brightens my day. I slide a twenty over to her.

"Hey sweetie, no food?" She asks the same way she always does.

"No, I still have some." I smile at her. "I do need some water though, do you sell gallons of water?" I ask hopefully.

I really need to take a shower and I forgot to see if the last store I was at had any.

"We don't. Only regular sized bottles of water." She regretfully states.

"You could always use our bathroom though if you need to." She suggests.

I almost except the offer, but it's not easy to wash your hair in a sink that you have to keep one hand pushing down on the lever for the water to stay on. But then I come up with an idea that sounds much nicer.

"Thank you, I'll skip today though." I politely refuse her offer.

"Ok, anytime you need it it's there though, ok?" She smiles sweetly.

"Thank you, Jean. I want all twenty on pump three please." That should give me almost a full tank of gas. She rings me up and hands me the receipt. We say our goodbyes then I head out to Jack to fill his tank up.

I whip out my phone and send a text.

To: My Best Friend

Hey, would it be ok if I go to the waterfall today?

Do you know how nice of a shower that waterfall would be? Probably the best one I've ever had. The pump clicks off and I screw the cap back on getting back in my car as my phone dings.

From: My Best Friend

Yeah... just don't climb the dang cliff. How long are you going to be out there?

I would stay out there forever if I could, that place is beyond beautiful.

To: My Best Friend