Chapter 2 My New Family

The house was very small.

It was so small it felt more like a 4.5 tatami apartment room. The floor was hard-packed dirt and in it, there was a small corner that held a cold fire pit. In another corner, there was a moderately sized straw matt which I assumed was the bed. There were a few ratty blankets on it, but overall the living conditions were rather plain and plebian.

My father set me down and began to start the fire back up. He went outside to grab some firewood from the pile outside and once he brought a few logs back inside he grabbed a small knife and a piece of flint.

With the skill of someone who had done it many times; Father eventually turned a cold lifeless firepit into a roaring flame. The heat was nice. especially since the weather seemed to suggest it was early spring. There still was a slight chill in the air, and thus the heat from the flame was a welcome pushback against the cold air that still lingered.

Kotori sat by the fire and warmed her hand

[well this sucks]

Although Kotori could tell that her existence, wasn't one that would be painful, she could tell it would be a life that was difficult. It was rather apparent that in this world farmers were not particularly wealthy

[Not that I could've expected that much]

Kotori once again cursed the fact that she had not saved any karma for her reincarnation.

[How am I supposed to resolves this]

She began to reflect on her -100,000,000 karma stat. She had to do something to get it back up to at least 0 or else she would likely be reincarnated as a bug with her soul destroyed

"Why the glum face"

Kotori was snapped out of her rumination by her father

"Just tired I guess," Absentmindedly replying. Of course, her father wouldn't understand reincarnation since for the most part, souls would lose their memories upon reincarnation. Kotori herself was an exception to that rule and Gabriel-sama took pity on her. Her father, on the other hand, wouldn't even understand what she was talking about

"If you're so tired you should rest on the bed," he said trying to be helpful

Kotori, who wasn't tired, at all went to bed and pretended to sleep. At the very least it would give her more time to think about how to regain her karma back.

[Now let me think here, what can I do that would get people to love me.]

Kotori had to think big, really BIG. For most people, living a life of virtue and honesty would be enough karma for their next reincarnation, but in Kotori's case just living a virtuous life wasn't enough. She had to do something massive that would benefit the whole world. In her previous life, she had managed to solve a cancer-like disease and resolve most of the world's hunger issues with brilliant inventions and knowledge. But based on the technology she's seen so far she didn't believe that recreating those technologies in this world would be feasible. Plus, she wasn't even sure if the laws of physics would work in the same way, or if the biologies of humans in this world differed from the biologies of the one in her previous world.

[Man, this is really going to be difficult]

She began to wrack her head. For one, She didn't even know how karma accumulation works. Based on the small drop she had earlier it seems to be a linear system. But she didn't understand how certain actions were judged. For example, if by helping one person she hurt another would that still rewarded with a karma increase? Or would the net gain be zero? What if she ordered someone to help another, would her karma value go up, or the person she ordered to do the act be the one to gain the karma instead.