Thirty-Three

At six in the morning, the house is completely still. It's a change from the usual rowdiness of six people bustling about, trying to do as many things as possible before the day is over.

I've come over enough times to know exactly where the wood creaks and groans. Slipping out of my room and down the stairs is child's play. I could do it with my eyes closed.

I make it all the way to the front door where I tug on my shoes and shoulder my backpack. The bus ride won't be short, so I'm going prepared with music, a book, and some snacks. And considering I probably won't be home by lunch, I can't leave empty handed.

I reach for the door handle, ready to leave, when the patter of soft footsteps makes me freeze. Preparing for the worst, I slowly turn around, surprised and also not so surprised to see Grandma standing in the archway with her hands on her hips.

"Where do you think you're going, mister?" She eyes me up and down, smiling to herself like she's proud she caught me.

"I'm. . ." How do I say this? "I'm going to see someone."

"At six in the morning?"

I grip the strap of my backpack, hoping she won't keep me from leaving. My whole plan will be a bust. "They don't live around here," I say quietly.

Grandma nods. She has a master poker face. I have no idea what she's going to say.

"She must be pretty special if you're sneaking out so early to see her."

"I'm not going to see a girl," I admit. My whole body is tense. This is not how I planned for this morning to go.

"Ah." She smiles warmly and comes closer to put a hand on my arm. She looks at me with understanding, like she knows all my secrets and has already accepted them. "Carter, I don't care who you're chasing after. As long as they're someone worth chasing."

My body relaxes and I let out a breath. Leave it to Grandma to know to read between the lines.

"So you'll let me go?"

"If you promise to be safe."

I pull her into a hug, hoping it shows her how much I appreciate this—her. "Of course I'll be safe," I tell her. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

Wasting no more time, I yank open the door and hurry down the street to the nearest bus stop. Since I'm not legally allowed to take the car out on my own yet, I have to catch a ride on a bus to another bus station that will take me out of Vancouver. Asking Winston to drive me was a big ask and even though he offered, I didn't want to make him do anything else for me.

Eventually, after what feels like forever, I make it to the next bus. I choose a seat near the back, opting for as much privacy and quiet I can get. Even though it's early in the morning and the bus isn't full, I prefer not having to worry about someone looking over my shoulder.

I settle into my seat, pulling out my earbuds as a few more people climb onto the bus. In about two hours, I'll have to face Jordan. Until then, it's just me, my music, and the open road.

☼ ☼ ☼

It takes two bus rides with a ten minute wait between each, but I finally make it to Abbotsford. Unfortunately for me, even after hopping off that second bus—my legs shaky and head pounding—I still have a ten minute walk to make to the quarry.

There's no denying the fear that has settled in the pit of my stomach. I had stayed up late last night talking to Tammy and planning on how to do this. She gave me the information I needed and some advice, but the rest was all up to me.