Six

The last time I did any kind of arts and crafts was in eighth grade when art was a mandatory subject. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't enjoy it enough to continue it in high school. It was way too stressful and way too precise. As someone who loses focus easily, I lost track of what I was doing in art more often than not. It was a frustrating experience that I definitely did not want to go through again. But here I am in the mess hall, about to begin a new craft after three years of avoiding any of it.

"Carter, over here," Jordan calls from a table in the back. There are no campers sitting there, presumably because it is being claimed as the "counsellor escape table". I make my way over and sit next to Jordan so that I can see Hannah as she explains the activity.

"I haven't done this in years so you might actually be able to beat me in something this summer," I joke.

"Oh yeah? Pretty confident of you, dude."

I shrug. "Just thinking realistically."

Jordan gives me a playful punch at that. I just roll my eyes in response and attempt to focus on Hannah as she explains the craft. Fortunately, it isn't anything too extravagant. Unfortunately, we're making bracelets—friendship bracelets. I've never made a bracelet before, but I have a feeling that this will also be my last time making one.

Hannah starts explaining the process and demonstrates it for everyone to see. I hoped that being a counsellor would relieve me from activities like this, but I have not been granted that wish. Instead, I have to participate in almost everything the campers do. Arts and crafts included.

"Should we do matching colours?"

I look at Jordan who is staring intensely at the selection of string. There are variations of multiple colours for everyone to choose from. I was going to pick any two colours that looked okay together, but if Jordan wants to match, I should put some thought into it, right?

"Sure. What colours?" If I can't make a decision, hopefully Jordan can.

Jordan taps his finger against the table, evidently in thought. "I, uh, like the green, I guess?"

I nod. As soon as I agree, I notice that Jordan is more relaxed. "You good with blue and green?"

Jordan sighs with relief. "I was gonna suggest that, but I wasn't sure if that was too soft for you."

"Too soft?"

Jordan laughs as he grabs some string and places it between us. "Yeah, like, not all bad boy ish, I guess? Saying it out loud doesn't make as much sense as I thought it did."

"It really doesn't, but I'm still sticking with blue and green."

Jordan holds his hands up in surrender. "Okay, dude. Blue and green it is."

☼ ☼ ☼

Making a friendship bracelet is not easy.

If there's an award for worst arts and crafts person ever, I would win, no doubt. I'm listening to Hannah's instructions—which have been repeated a lot for those of us who can't seem to get it—and no, I can't do it. Joan, who is also helping out, seems amused at how bad I am at this. She started it for me and then left. I'm attempting to make some sense out of this while Jordan does his best to keep himself from falling over. He's laughing way too hard at this.

"Okay, you weren't kidding when you said you were bad at this stuff." Jordan's smile just seems to grow even wider if that's possible.

"Are you going to keep laughing or help me out here? We can't have matching friendship bracelets if one of them isn't even a bracelet."