2: The Social Hierarchy

Julia's POV

Julia's POV

The main entrance of Wellington High is a tall archway. Made of concrete, it shimmers slightly in the morning sun as I step through it and into my new high school for the very first time.

Luckily, I've managed to power walk my way to the school before the first period begins, so currently students are still milling about on the vast campus. I see my brother already chatting to a group of guys his age and I smile as I silently wish him the best of luck with his first day.

My first class is in the East Wing, room 208, which is, fortunately, a building relatively close to the entrance. I check my watch and decide I have some time to kill before class starts. I feel my camera in my backpack and consider taking it out and filming another segment for the vlog, but then I remember I have something much more important to do first.

It's time for me to socialize.

In the far right corner of the campus outdoor area are the social rejects. Nerds and goths; it's probably best if I stay far away from there. In the far left corner of the campus outdoor area are the random freshman groups; they were friends in middle school so now they're sticking together in an awkward little clique.

I've changed high schools enough to have the process of finding my kind of people down to a science. They're usually "chilling" in the center of the campus outdoor area. Where they can be seen and admired from anywhere. It's the popular girls.

According to my math, it always pays off for my vlog channel in the end to join the popular girl group. This high school has a student population of about 1,000 kids. If every one of those were to subscribe to my channel, I'd consider my time here worth it.

I push my way through some guys fighting and some couples making out and make a beeline for the campus center.

As expected, a group of beautiful senior girls is gathered here. They're chatting eagerly about their classes and what teachers they hate the most.

Two girls step away from the group for a moment and give me an appraising look. "Hey, new girl. Want some advice from some seniors?" the taller one says. She's wearing a varsity jacket and has boxing gloves hanging from her backpack; she looks like she'd throw a mean punch.

I shrug my shoulders.

"The student lounge in the East Wing is the best place to... have a little privacy," they say, giggling, and then turning back to the group to keep talking with them.

Weird.

Another girl is standing slightly away from the rest, looking concerned down at her phone. She has long, curly blond hair that reaches to her waist and is wearing an orange varsity sweater, a white skirt, and knee-high orange socks. Her skin is tan and glowing from a good amount of makeup.

 Her skin is tan and glowing from a good amount of makeup