Chapter 12

Owen and Anya stormed out of the car, rage to kind of a word to describe the feeling rippling beneath the skins of their fist that itched to punch something.

They left their doors open, Claire also climbing out of the car as she slammed her door shut.

"The mother hens have finally arrived," Hoskins greeted and Owen returned his greeting by slugging him in the face.

As he righted himself, holding his jaw, Anya's muddy boot made contact with his chest, sending him to the ground as her hand squeezed his thick neck, his guards hesitating as they hefted their guns.

"I watched my father die today. So, get the hell out of here and get the hell away from my raptors before I feed you to them."

Hoskins was turning red as she squeezed, ignoring Claire's protests before Owen pulled her off him, him being the only person able to do that without Anya trying to take a swing at him in her furious state.

"Hoskins, you wanted this to happen, you son of a bitch," Claire piped up, getting in his face after Owen let Anya go, making sure her hands didn't even think about going for her gun still slung on her back.

"Oh, Jesus. How many more people have to die before this mission starts to make sense to you?" Hoskins retorted.

"It's not a mission. It's a field test," Barry corrected as he appeared at Anya's side.

"This is an InGen situation now. Okay, there are gonna be cruise ships that show up here at first light. Everybody's gonna get off this island. You're gonna watch a news story tomorrow about how you all saved lives. No, no, no. Better yet, how your animals saved lives," Hoskins yelled at them, altering between looking at Owen to looking at Anya.

"They've never been out of containment. It's crazy," Barry said and Hoskins turned to the men set up behind him.

"Let's move it out!" he yelled an order before turning around to the trio. "This is happening! With or without you."

Owen turned to Anya, giving her the decision even though he already knew what he wanted to do and likely what she would pick.

Anya only glanced at him once before taking her turn to slug Hoskins in the face, her fury-filled punch looking like it hurt much more than Owen's.

"I hope you enjoyed being in charge. Because by first light, my father's company becomes mine. And you'll be unemployed if you're still alive by then," she spat before turning and marching over to the shelter where all the men were gearing up and pouring over maps, Owen on her heels.

But as Hoskins rubbed his jaw, they didn't see him smile.

She could have the company.

He didn't even need till first light.

Because Hoskins was already getting what he wanted.