#19 A Bridge to a Future

"And it's alright,
Calling out for somebody to hold tonight;
When you're lost, I'll find a way, and I'll be your light.
You will never feel like you're alone,
I'll make this feel like home."

— "Home" // One Direction

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

It's crazy how one single person has shifted Abir's whole world from North to South.

Everything was going smoothly and suddenly Abir was introduced to Mishti Agarwal, who knew she'd become the center of his whole world in no time? Here she is, flipping his life upside down yet she's the one still holding his sanity, the one holding his heart.

And he doesn't regret the many downturns they took and will be taking. It has always been the push and pull relationship between him and Mishti and now it's too late to turn around.

Abir still feels shivers down his spine when he recalls the night. It was not even night, it was 3 a.m. and only God knows how he picked up the call because there has hardly been a time when something can wake Abir Rajvansh up from his sleep. But maybe that's how fate planned it.

He still feels scared thinking what could have happened had he not reached Mishti's place in like fifteen minutes. Now he even thinks what if he died in an accident on his way because man, he has never driven at such a surreal speed. What if he didn't have the spare keys of the flat?

The more he thinks of it, the scarier it gets. He can't even escape these thoughts as Mishti's nightmares are not rising and so is Abir's horror. To be honest, he knew something like this would happen. But the impact was greater than he expected.

It's again nearly 2 a.m. in the night and Abir is holding a terrified Mishti again. Since she has moved in with Abir, days pass in a blink of the eye and nights have been mercilessly long with Mishti's continuous night terrors and outbursts. It aches him to see Mishti like this; she looks so terrified, so broken and all his attempts to help her seem worthless. She won't talk about it but her eyes plead for help. She doesn't say anything but Abir knows.

At nights when she'll call for Abir and he murmurs soothing words to her, when she holds his hands tight to gasp for breath, in her therapy sessions when she looks for Abir, he knows.

After continuously saying how she doesn't deserve to be loved and she doesn't want to live, when they sit in silence and she still doesn't let his hand go, he knows.

He knows she needs him and it doesn't matter if she says it or not.

Abir still recalls that night when he first took Mishti to his home and she didn't object. The next day when he asked her to stay with him, she didn't object. It was awkward at first, but things did fall into place. Mishti needed help, it was never a good idea for her to stay alone. And she chose to live with Abir instead of going to her father's place.

The nights when Abir runs to comfort Mishti his heart winces as he sees her sitting down with her back leant against the wall, her head between her knees, her body shaking with sobs yet she somehow responds to Abir's touch; those are the moments when Abir knows he has to do it. No matter what the end looks like, he can't let go of Mishti. She needs him as much as he needs her.

====

"It'll be alright Mishti. You're safe, we're safe. No one is saying anything to you. It's fine."

"I don't deserve them Abir, I don't deserve them. I don't deserve you. Why are you here? You'll leave me too once you get to know me. I'm bad. Please don't leave, please."

"I'm not leaving Mishti, see I'm here. Right here. I'm never leaving you. It's alright."

She doesn't say anything but holds Abir tight like her life depends on it.