#22 Choice of the Heart

"Nothing makes you hurt,
Like hurtin' who you love.
And no amount of words will ever be enough.
I looked you in the eyes,
And saw that I was lost!
For every question why,
You were my because..."

— "Walls" // Louis Tomlinson

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

Finally things seem to have fallen into place and days are going better. It's been a roller-coaster of a year since Mishti first entered his office and his life; deep down it's been the journey of rising above years of shame, betrayals, pain and loneliness. It has been destiny's play to unite two broken souls to mend each other - those two whose fates have been written together even before they knew it.

Abir and Mishti.
Mishti and Abir.

"I have always been in a rush. I didn't know what it is to pause and relax or even what it is to feel something deeply. But look at this now, everything is changing even in this moment yet here you are - being the only constant star in my sky. A year is a long term; everything changed, but you and I remained the same. It's kinda achievement, isn't it? You've done this to me, Mr. Rajvansh. Quite an achiever you are."

"And you've no idea how blessed I'm to have you Mishti. You have no idea how pathetic I was before you came to my life. I always had aims but you gave me my purpose to live, if that explains how important you're to me."

Abir still remembers how Mishti blushed and hugged him tight, he can die a thousand deaths to live that one moment again and again. He's never been wise with words when it comes to expressing his true emotions. In fact, he sometimes wonders whether he has told Mishti even half of what he really feels. And then he looks at her and she smiles; that's when he knows it's not a dream and they've the time of the whole wide world to talk about things. He is thankful for each day, slowly but surely they are getting to it. Mishti is getting to it.

She is happy, she is herself.
Comfortable with herself, her vulnerability and her emotions.

And that's what matters the most for Abir - more than his own life, more than the three words they haven't exchanged yet. It is all about time; what's meant to be will be and Abir is absolutely happy with everything. It is all going fine.

It was all going fine.

Until an uninvited guest decides to drop by their humble abode.

Meenakshi Rajvansh.

Abir knows he can handle his mother alone, he knows that Meenakshi can cause no harm to him or Mishti or anyone for that matter. He's just not sure if Mishti is ready to face her. She's so fragile at this moment and still adapting to situations, things and feelings.

But his mother has to show up and shake their world when it is still  building. How Abir wished he could click the "Remind me later" button for this one event and then focus on Mishti; when he's free he'd have sorted out this situation again. But oh poor luck! This is real life and there's no way he can make this pause. He really needs a little space but no, he's never getting it.

"Answer me Abir."

No I won't. "What do you want me to say?"

"I've been talking to you for half an hour now, what are you thinking?"

Trying to not explode my mind by listening to you, obviously. "I'm sorry, I got distracted."

"What am I hearing Abir? Why is Vishambhar Maheshwari's daughter living with you?"

"How does it matter to you?"

"Did you even listen to a word I said?"

"Unfortunately, no." Abir snaps. "With all honesty, I didn't hear a single thing the moment you mentioned Mishti who is much more than just the daughter of Vishmabhar Maheshwari. And I can't believe this, you Mrs. Meenakshi Rajvansh is here after all these years, lecturing me on family, respect and love, that too not because you care for your son whom you left years ago."