HINC ILLAE LACRIMAE

"Finnick."

The man was barely responsive. He was awake of course, but his mind was not present. He was stuck in his thoughts, torturing himself. It didn't help that he'd just watched Peeta's interview.

It was Boggs who had called his name. The other man had to tug on Finnick's arm to get him to stop walking.

Boggs didn't say anything. He simply pulled Finnick into a control room where Plutarch and Coin were. No one greeted them; their eyes were too focused on the tv screen in front of them.

Finnick watched the screen too. Caesar Flickerman was back, introducing someone else.

"Hello, people of Panem!" he greeted, "Along with our beloved Peeta Mellark, who we saw earlier, we also have another special guest with us tonight. Someone who lived through not one, but two hunger games; someone who we all admire and respect for her bravery. Tonight, I'd like to welcome a Capitol darling...Lara Foraye!"

His eyes widened and he lost his breath. And when the camera switched to show Lara, he thought he might faint.

She was alive.

Everything he'd been wishing for was right there. There was proof she was still alive. She didn't look as bad as he thought she would. He honestly expected her to be near death. But the only thing he could see was her pale and sunken face.

In his gut, he knew it had to be more than that. No way she was being cooperative, especially after the game had ended.

Caesar's voice was heard off to the side as he began his questioning.

"Now Lara what can you tell us about the Quarter Quell?" Caesar asked, "Many are confused on how it ended. Who won?"

Everyone in the room sat up straight. Lara looked like she was about to answer, but she caught herself. Finnick noticed that her eyes shifted to someplace else behind the camera.

There was a reluctance in her voice as she shakily answered, "The Quarter Quell was a devastating loss for all of Panem. There are no victors in this war against each other. The game was corrupted by the rebellion..."

Her voice trailed off from its monotonous tone. Her eyes scanned something off camera and she simply stopped. They caught a glimpse of Caesar motioning for her to continue.

"A rebellion aided by the actions of Katniss Everdeen, Beetee Latier, Johanna Mason...and Finnick Odair."

Finnick exhaled sharply. Tears were brimming in his eyes. He tried to understand what she was saying but it didn't make sense. The Lara he knew never would've thrown the blame on them.

She paused, and a glimpse of recognition flashed over her face. Her eyes switched from Caesar to whoever was behind the camera. Confusion was no longer subtle as she struggled for words.

"Lara?" Caesar prompted, "Is there anything you'd like to say regarding the rebellion?"

This time, Alma Coin tensed. All the things they'd been doing with Katniss would go down the drain if Lara spoke ill of their cause. Despite the people's love for the mockingjay, Peeta and Lara's words might just overpower them.

And just as she suspected, Lara's words were controversial.

"The Capitol wants peace."

It caused a small riot within the room. Leaders and soldiers cried out in protest and shouted at the screen, just like they did with Peeta.

But Finnick knew differently. He knew Lara, and this was not her.

He waited with baited breath and studied her face. She seemed conflicted with herself; stuck in her own inner debate. It didn't last long because he recognized that look of resolve.