FIGHT OR FLIGHT

"You don't have to go in."

Lara had decided that morning that she wanted to get out of her self-confinement. Everyone's talks with her gave her a little bit more confidence to actually leave her room.

So she told Finnick that they'd go to the dining hall with everyone else for breakfast. But on their walk there, he could sense she was nervous.

"I can just grab our food and we can eat someplace else," he offered, "A quieter place."

Lara glanced through the door where the busy bodies of district thirteen citizens were bustling about. She could feel her nerves rise in her throat. But it didn't stop her from shaking her head at Finnick.

"I need to do this," she muttered, "Just not alone."

He nodded and grabbed her hand gently to lead her in. She took a deep breath before rolling her shoulders back to appear strong just as they pushed open the doors.

Silence fell upon the hall almost instantly. Everyone's eyes landed on Lara in a mix of confusion and awe. They'd been told the victors were recovered but they hadn't seen anyone except for Annie and Johanna truly come out into the open.

Lara was an influential member throughout the districts after she became a victor. Many still looked up to her. So when they heard the Capitol had her in their grasp, they were saddened. But seeing this nervous and frail girl in front of them was a whole different emotion that simply couldn't be described.

Finnick tried to glare at everyone who dared to linger on her. But Lara remained outwardly unbothered. Her posture was strong and her expression was neutral. The only thing that gave her away was her healing wounds that very still very apparent.

She squeezed Finnick's hand all the way to the table he brought them to. She slid into the seat as he bent down to speak quietly.

"I'll be back in a second."

She nodded and watched as he went to get their trays of food. But as soon as he disappeared, Elias mysteriously appeared by her side.

"Welcome back to the land of the living."

Recognizing his voice before she spun to see him, her chest tightened in anger.

"I thought you'd never leave your room," he stated, "You know, you used to lock yourself in our room when we were kids."

"I remember."

Her tone was bitter and resentful. Nothing could be sharper than her glare. He noticed.

"Still mad, I see."

She scoffed, "Well, let's see: my only living relative practically voted to leave me for dead, then you proceeded to underestimate how much I've protected you these past years even though you made my life a living hell when we were kids. Should I go on?"

He sighed and opened his mouth to retaliate harshly. But before he could, she cut him off with a stop of the hand. The motion surprised him since he was usually the more aggressive one. He guessed that her years away from him had changed her.

"I don't want to fight, Elias."

Her admittance made him falter.

"I'm exhausted...and you clearly don't need my protection anymore. So I'm done fighting."

Before he could put in his own words, Finnick showed up with two trays of food. He placed them down in front of her before stepping between the siblings. Elias rose nearly two inches above Finnick, but it didn't make the other man falter.