KENOPSIA

"I've never seen this place so empty."

Katniss was the one to speak their thoughts. As the unit walked through the abandoned streets of the Capitol, they couldn't help but gawk.

Rubble crunched beneath their feet from the destroyed buildings. Smoke rose from fires that previously raged. Every path was obstructed by the damage.

"I, for one, enjoy seeing it destroyed," Lara said clearly, "I say let it burn."

The comment didn't bother anyone. Lara had every reason for wanting to see the symbolic place of her trauma destroyed.

Finnick glanced over at her and noticed how she shifted her tactical gear on her body. She had the same uniform and armor that everyone else had, with the additional weight of the batons strapped to her back.

She noticed his staring and met his eyes. She shrugged and rolled out her shoulders in an attempt to ease the discomfort.

"It's very clunky," she muttered.

Finnick grinned, "I think you look good in it."

She playfully rolled her eyes at his cheeky comment, earning a laugh from him.

"It's not very practical."

"I'd say armor is practical."

She sighed sweetly and faced him, "Well if this armor happens to keep me alive past the next few hours, I'll make sure to tell you that you were right."

It was his turn to roll his eyes.

"Besides, I don't think it'll do much against these pods."

She looked ahead and noticed that Boggs and the others in front spread out behind a triangular passageway. They could see down an alley that led to the next section of buildings.

"Speaking of..."

Finnick grabbed her arm gently and led her to cover behind the others. They watched as Katniss kneeled and drew her bow and arrow. The others, the camera crew led by Cressida, angled around her to get the perfect shot. Lara could tell Katniss was annoyed.

But once she released her arrow, their attention was directed at the large flames that burst from the walls of the alley. It was meant to destroy anything that could've activated the trigger. If they didn't have the Holo, they'd have been fried to a crisp.

A final explosion chucked a vehicle closer to them, making the group flinch. Finnick's arm subtly moved in front of Lara in case he needed to push her out of the way.

That was no longer necessary when the fire died and came to a stop. Boggs gave the all clear and they passed through the alley.

"We should get some rest for the night before we cover more ground in the morning," he suggested, pointing to a building in front of them.

They agreed and all took shelter in the ruined floor. Once everyone settled, they either slept or talked amongst themselves.

Finnick and Lara had a spot to themselves, keeping close and out of earshot. She saw Elias sitting in a corner by himself, checking his gun routinely.

"Should we be polite and invite him to sit with us?"

Lara glanced at Finnick after he posed the question. She knew he wasn't being serious but he tried to act like it for the sake of humor.

"Or is that too petty?"

Once he saw a smile crack her face, he was satisfied, leaving the joke to rest. She leaned her head on his shoulder and let him wrap his arm around her. They fell into solemnness again.