Chapter 7 - The Stranger

Y/N's POV

Pulling my leggings over my thighs up to my hips, I sight, not overly excited about my plan, but necessary to clear my head. My dreams still plague me with a certain woman, not letting me sleep well. After waking up at 4.30am, I couldn't fall back to sleep, deciding that I needed to get some air.

I pull my hair up in a high ponytail, securing it with a black hair tie. Looking out of the window beside my bed, I see the sun just rise over the hill, bathing the room into orange light.

I hear a low groan from the other side of the room. "Why are you up so early?," Kim asks with a raspy morning voice, still not fully awake.

"Shhh, get back to sleep. I'm going on a run. Can't sleep anymore." I whisper, not wanting to pull her further out of her sleep.

In response, a look of surprise crosses her face, "Mm, You're so weird." She states, turning herself back around with a grunt, leaving me alone.

I grab my running shoes on the way to the door quietly pulling it shut behind me.
Taking the elevator down to the first floor, I only see the janitor, who looks like he sees a ghost when I walk past him. What's up with all these people? Isn't 5am a totally okish time?

Running three rounds around the park, I push myself to the limit, hoping it would make me so exhausted that my mind would just shut up completely.

Three laps down, I slow down and hang my head in exhaustion, trying to breathe normally after running at such a fast pace. My throat burns due to the constant heavy breathing, making me wish I packed water with me. Thankfully I always carry a little cash with me, hidden behind my phone case.

Eying the surrounding area, my look stops at the café at the corner of the park. I need coffee.
With the desire for a drink, I head in the direction of the little café, the smell of coffee already lingering in the air, filling the cold morning air with a pleasant scent.

It's a quiet morning - no line of customers at the bar, and the tables still empty. My tired self needs their caffeine, so I decide on an iced coffee. Standing beside the counter, waiting for my order, I tuck some strands of hair behind my ear that have fallen off my ponytail, rocking back and forth on my heels.

"Y/n?", comes a stranger's voice from behind me, startling me, not feeling someone's presence behind me.

I wipe my head around in confusion, seeing a dark haired woman behind me, looking at me with amusement. Taking a quick glance at her, I observe her, checking out her black suit.

Ugh, not again. Since when does every woman wear suits? Did I miss something?

Her appearance automatically intimidates me.
I'm not entirely sure if it's her outfit or the air that surrounds her making me feel a little overawed.

"Do I know you?," I ask her. I don't remember ever seeing her before because I surely would remember her.

She tilts her head to the side, biting her lip in thought. "Don't you remember me." Her face gives away her hurt feelings.

I furrow my brows in confusion, trying to remember every possible encounter with her in the past.

"I'm really sorry. I-," I stammer.

"I'm kidding." She shrugs off with a hand. "But we did meet. I saw you at the club a few days ago." She gives me a small smile, instantly making me feel a bit at ease. Even though her monotone voice makes me a bit nervous.

"Oh-," I choke out. "Sorry, my mind is kinda blank from that night."
I bite the inside of my cheeks, looking down at my shoes. At the declaration, I straighten my spine and force myself to look at her again, not wanting to seem innocent. "The drinking went a bit over my head."