Chapter 54: Back to Present

Jeremy POV

Laila's still unconscious.

I would do anything to trade places with her. I'd rather I'm the one laying on the bed right now. I have no idea how I even manage to function these few days.  On the day of the incident, Brian found me daze, waiting for news on Laila. 

"How is she?" Clarrise asked the moment she arrived.

 I can hear another footstep but I have no interest in checking who it was. I just kept holding on to Laila's pale hands. Her eyes are still shut and if it wasn't for the heart monitor making a beeping sound I would have gone insane wondering if her heart is still beating.

My heartache to see her in this state. 

Brian was the one to answer her. "She's fine now but the thing that was injected into her is still unknown. Doctors still looking into it. Unless Laila wakes up we still have no idea of its effect."

I felt a hand on my shoulder, I looked up and saw Brian's concerned eyes. "Jer, how about you take some rest. Clarrise will look after her for now."

"Yeah, you really looked like crap right now," Clarisse commented trying to sound as usual but there's still no denying that even she is trying to keep it together.

"No, I need to be here when she wakes up," I argue. "What about that guy?"

"The police are still looking for him. I don't even know how he manages to escape. I'll go down later and check on things. Nate already had some people look into the drug he injected into her. I'm just worried about you."

"I'm fine." 

"What exactly happened?" This time, a familiar voice spoke. 

"I don't know how long it's been going on but it seems that Laila was being stalked by that guy and was able to get inside her place." Brian explained to them, "I guess he found out Laila already knew so he rushed on his plan. It was a good thing that one of my men caught on to it and informed me. He also did admit that he'd been feeding Laila that drug."

"If only I didn't leave that time this wouldn't happen to Laila," I blamed myself. "No, I should have made sure of her safety. I should have listened to her. She was already feeling that someone was following her but at that time I just shoved it off as media following us."

"What?! I should have stayed with her when she asked me. I know it was weird when she kept asking when I'll get back-" Clarisse tried to argue but I didn't let her.

"What can you do? You'll just both get hurt-"

"Well, I could have been a company to her. I should have known things are happening. I've been with her, with what happened to her before so I should have known better." she cut me off.

"Stop! You two. Arguing wouldn't help," Tina interfered. "I already blocked the media from finding out what happened. Henry is helping in dealing to postpone her works."

"Jeremy, at least eat something. You've been like that for hours, there are more people who'll look after her now." Brian urged me.

When I still didn't budge, they all just left me alone. They haven't fully closed the door so I can hear them talking in the hallway.  I got irritated by the hushed noise so I got up to close the door thinking that their murmuring is also disturbing Laila's sleep. But the moment I got near it my ears perked up at the topic they are talking about.

"What do you mean this wasn't the first time someone stalked her? How come Jeremy doesn't know that?" Brian questioned.

"Well,  we didn't really know anything until he waited on Laila. At that time Laila ended up working late and if it wasn't for Henry she could have been taken or harmed that time. It was also how we got to know him. The stalker got away but he left his bag and what we saw inside confirmed that he's been stalking her but we never get to catch him." Clarisse explained with a solemn look.

"Why wasn't I told about this?" Clarisse was shocked when they heard me. "What happened before?"

"Jer, calm down," Brian tried to ease up the tension.

"Tell me what happened before!" I demanded. Clarisse took a step back, frightened by my outburst. 

I can't just calm down. This had happened before and I have no idea. Just how much is there that I'm not aware of regarding Laila. 

"It was before she moved into your place." Clarisse finally confessed. "We did all we can, we ask the head of the dormitory and told them the situation. But what we didn't take into account is that he's also a student at the university so he can still lurk around the dorm."

Hearing the story, I suddenly recalled something. "Was it the reason Laila would call me all the time?"

Her silence was already a confirmation.

Just then we heard a noise. I rushed inside and saw Laila awake and string to pull the needle out of her arm. 

"Laila!" I came to her said and cupped her face making her see me.

"Jer" she cried. I pulled her for a hug. She kept sobbing. "Please don't leave me."

"Shh. I'm here, I won't leave." I tried calming her down. 

Brian had called the doctors and in a minute they all flooded in. Laila was still panicking and it took a while to convince her that everything is fine and that I won't leave. The doctors checked up on her as she still hold on to me. Her body is shaking from fear.

"I'm sorry Laila, this is all my fault," I mumbled. 

"Is it okay now if we moved her out of here? Laila's probably panicking because she's in the hospital." Clarisse stated which took our attention.

"Why the heck would she panic just because she's in the hospital?" Brian questioned.

"Ever since what happened five years ago, Laila had trouble being in a hospital so she never step foot in it again." she continued explaining.

Five years ago.

Something happened.

Another event in Laila's life that I don't know about. Just how many things there is that I don't know. What exactly happened five years ago? 

I looked at the person I love the most who is still sobbing in my arms. She's clinging to me, afraid that I would be gone as if it was me who abandoned her before. I looked at her and questioned if I really knew anything about her. What Clarisse had revealed made me think of the things Laila showed and did was all fake, but I know that what we had was real. Is real. 

"Five years ago," I uttered. "Will that explain the reason why Laila left me?"

Clarisse's shocked expression clearly informed me that everything is connected. That she knows the reason.