Chapter 47: I'm not stupid Jer.

Laila POV

I should have had a fortune reading for today so I can ask for a blessing of some sort. 

Just when I thought that the rest of my day will be peaceful, I was smacked by reality. The moment we got back my phone rang. My breathing hitched as I saw the caller ID. I stared at the screen hoping it would stop but it didn't. Henry glanced at me and saw that I was frozen at my spot letting my phone ring.

"Are you okay? Who's calling?" he asked, concern filling his eyes. 

I snapped out of my trance and waved him off, "Unknown number."

My phone kept ringing, afraid of what might happen if I don't answer I excused myself and found a quiet and isolated place. I looked around making sure no one is within earshot.

"I'm coming to get you," a familiar voice barked the moment I answered.

"I don't want anything to do with you," I said calmly. I already anticipated this call. 

I can feel his frustration oozing out from my phone, "You can't run away anymore Laila. You need to face the truth."

I can't utter any word, mainly because what he said is true. My reality sucks and maybe that is the reason why I can write good stories. When I still kept quiet he continued, "I should have dragged you back the last time I saw you. You've had enough fun already. I'm surprised Malarkey hadn't figured out your lies."

"Don't you dare," I warned him though I know it would have no effect on him? Letting out a deep sigh I tried to say my piece. "Vincent-"

But as I said his name a voice interrupted me, "Laila."

I quickly turned my head to the source of the voice, my fingers were quick to end the call. Jer had that affectionate look as he walks toward me. He stops just a foot away. I tried to remain calm. 

'Did he hear anything?'

For a minute he just stood there looking at me, his hands in his pockets. I finally got rid of my anxiety from the call after another minute passed without him saying anything I started to walk past him and go back. It took me a couple of steps before a hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. My back on Jer's chest, he holds my waist hugging me from behind. His head nuzzling on my neck.

"Let go of me," I ordered him as I pry his hands away. He only tightens his grip on me.

"Laila. Please listen to me. There's nothing going on between me and that woman. She was there at the office when I got in and started talking nonsense. She tripped and that's when you suddenly came in." he explained to me. "Believe that I don't have an affair with her."

I stopped struggling to get out of his grip. My hand reached out and patted his head

"I know," I simply said. For some unknown reason, hearing his sad voice makes my heart ache.

He wasn't expecting my answer. Jer made me turn and look at him, confusion clouded his eyes, "You know?"

"I'm not stupid Jer." I can't help but roll my eyes at him. Did he think I'm that petty or something?

His eyebrows furrowed, "You know I'm not cheating on you?"

"Yes," I mumbled.

"Then why are you mad that day? You even blocked me and been giving me that silent treatment. " at that moment I really wanted to punch him in the face.

"What do you expect me to do? Welcome her with open arms. Seeing her made my blood boil." hostility was evident in my voice which didn't escape Jeremy.

"Why is that?" he probed on.