Chapter 7

Ability users have only one ability, but the opponent could form a large crystalized figure with himself centered in its core and also change his own form into another being. Dazai found one of his abilities familiar, a certain memory of the past flashed through his mind.

With a growl, the white leopard pounced onto him. He was almost too late to dodge its gigantic claws, slicing the building behind him with no effort. The blow sent him clashing into the top of a car. Then he promptly got off the dented surface despite the sore on his back, because the same lethal crystalized claws were already charging for him the second time.

The opponent was faster then before, he took after the characteristics of a leopard, its speed, its promptness. Without any sign of a halt, it held another vehicle, a bus, with its fangs and threw it towards Dazai. Dazai lifted a colossal piece of rock from the ground and defended himself. As soon as he shifted the solid to his side, ready to attack again, he got hit hard and was sent crashing through the insides of a building to his side.

He coughed up blood, it felt like he got hit by a speeding lorry. His vision was blurry, he must have had a head injury caused by the hit just now. Cuts and bruises were all over his limbs. Then he could finally see. Through the haphazardness of the broken structure before him, he could see the road. There stood another animal figure, a crocodile. That's it, he got hit by the most powerful part of it, its tail.

The crocodile transformed into a cheetah, baring its teeth with hissing and growling noises, its eyes staring at Dazai like he was its prey. Dazai slowly got up when the cheetah started charging towards him. Taking his foe's attack to his own advantage, Dazai swung a heavy punch with full strength. Two forces collided harshly. The rest of what's left on that floor was all blown off by the shock wave. The cheetah was overpowered, it was sent clashing into the large trees grown alongside the sidewalk far away.

That was the first time Dazai managed to root in such great effect towards the opponent, but that wasn't enough. To beat it, he had to break the crystal and directly attack the flesh and bone inside. He pushed his radio earpiece in his ear. ''Chuuya, I have to use Corruption.'' Chuuya's gravity manipulation was indeed powerful, but the enemy was nothing less. ''What ?! No wait your location's too far away from here I won't be able to get there in time! It's too dangerous !'' Dazai too wanted to hold on a little longer, but the enemy was quick and strong, and Dazai was already starting to feel weary, his head injury weakening his stance.

He chuckled a bit. ''Yeah, after all, if I die you'll be stuck in my body forever.'' ''Tsk you know I'm not talking about that !'' Chuuya was already on his way to Dazai's location as he was speaking. ''It's fine, Chuuya. I know you'll make it.'' Dazai took off the earpiece and his gloves. He dropped them on the floor.

''O acquaintances, grantors of dark disgrace, do not wake me again.''

Power surged through his body, crimson patterns flowed and formed on his skin. He felt more powerful, but at the same time weaker. His mind, his mind was getting weaker as he slowly gave in to Arahabaki to take control over his vessel. It felt like he was sinking into an ocean, one without water to drown him. He could still see what was happening around him, but he had no control over what he was doing. Strong wind started circulating him, scraping on the concrete floor around him.

The cheetah eventually came back, once again charging towards him. It pounced onto him with its jaw wide open, atrocious fangs aiming for his skull. Again, he threw a dire punch at it. But this time it was different, his fist went straight through the crystal, shattering the solid armor and hitting the flesh with utterly violent brawn.

His opponent was sent clashing onto the pavement, the surface stained with blood as friction damaged its skin when its limp body glided against the rough road. It was already badly hurt, but as quickly as it could, it stood up and tried to run away. Then a black sphere with glowing red core clashed into the ground before it, hurting it worse as a strong shock wave hit.

The cheetah was barely conscious as it scrambled around limply, giving its most effort to escape from the man walking towards it. More spheres hit the ground, leaving circular sunken marks formed by pieces of the damaged pavement. Amongst the air thick with dust, a figure walked slowly, chuckling devilishly yet softly like one that has given up hope in everything. It was Dazai. In the Corruption state, he didn't laugh and yell sadistically like Chuuya did. He was more... depressed.

His opponent lied helplessly on the ground, the cheetah wasn't able to move anymore. Dazai stood by its side, his head twitched as he looked down, staring at the pathetic animal with his blank eyes. Another sphere slowly formed in his palm as he raised up his arm high up to deal a death blow on his foe. It didn't look like the enemy was going to make it, neither did he. Blood was already streaming down his eyes, his mouth, his ears. He could collapse anytime.

''DAZAI !!''

Someone hugged him from behind. White glow shone upon the streets, lighting up the dark night. The sphere in his hand faded, nullified at Chuuya's touch.

It was like he was freed from a prison, like an angel gently pulling him into a warm embrace, giving him comfort. Dazai could feel his own will getting stronger as Arahabaki gradually sank back down into the depth of his mind. He felt relieved, like a child who had been lost in pitch black darkness finally got found. At that moment, Dazai fully understood what Chuuya meant.

*FLASHBACK*

''It's a different story when it comes to Corruption tho. I feel relieved and relaxed when you do that.''

*PRESENT*

His eyes regained focus for a second, then his vision went cloudy. Chuuya caught him as he collapsed into his arms. ''... Chuu... ya... ?'' Dazai looked up to the person holding him. Chuuya nodded. ''I'm sorry I'm so late ,'' he apologized and tucked a strand of ginger-red hair behind the ear. ''I... I knew you'd make it ,'' Dazai smiled and said with a feeble voice. He then weakly turned to look at the cheetah, which had already transformed back into its original look. It was Kyora, the shape shifter that had helped in kidnapping them two a year ago, just as Dazai thought.

''Kyo--Kyora ?'' Chuuya was mildly shocked. ''So he could take the form of both people and animals huh.'' Then he pulled his focus back to Dazai, whom had already passed out by the side effects of using Corruption. He smiled softly. ''Take some rest, Mackerel.''

Dazai's subordinates arrived at the scene shortly after. They brought Kyora back to the mafia building while Chuuya brought Dazai to the hospital in light of his injury.