This Isn't Surviving! This Is Saving!

They made survival harder on purpose. I could live in the woods easily but they made it a lot harder. I only found one stream which was pretty good all things considering but in a normal forest there would be at least three. 

I kept a record of how many people I had killed which would be about nine all together. I've been hunting people for the last two days and setting up traps. The first day was tracking the forest to get an idea of what I have and what I don't and now I hunt. I've found two young boys on separate occasions twice already. I refuse to kill anyone younger than fourteen but man was it tempting. 

The first afternoon these two men ambushed a young boy named Coal but I was around and killed them pretty quickly. Coal was shocked and thought I would kill him but I didn't. I left him without a word. The very next night his picture was floating in the sky.  

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel guilty. I can't worry about the past now though. 

Right now I'm sitting, crouched in a tree ,standing on a rope that is holding a trap in place.  

The person who killed Coal had left his body torn apart like an animal. Honestly, who does that to a kid? I'm not doing this for Coal's sake at all and this guy would have died eventually, I just want it to be me who kills him. The worst part was that the boy came from the same district as Coal. If that isn't betrayal I don't know what is. 

The teen boy who killed Coal very stupidly has a nasty habit of following the water. Don't get me wrong, you should know where the water is but don't like next to it! That's such a red flag on your back. 

I could hear the teen's footsteps as he walks towards the stream. 

I lay my arms over my knees as I watch him. 

"Hey" I say to get his attention. 

The man gasps and spins around to look at me, his ax held high. 

"Don't move!" The teenager yelled. 

I narrow my eyes at him "Did you have a grudge against Coal?" 

He looks taken aback. "Oh, you're that guy everyone was talking about. Cedric or something right?" He smirks at me "Did you come seek me out yourself I'm flattered." 

"Don't be" I say. "I kill people like you all the time." 

"People like me?" He asks "What's that supposed to mean? You mean you only kill black people like me? You racist man?" 

"Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll kill any race or gender," I say with a smirk he can't see because of my gas mask. "I mean child murdering psychopaths. You know, people like you!" 

"It's a murder fest, what did you expect?" He says with a scowl. 

"I expected some decency!" I growl. "You kill people and move on, not drag it out. How many times did you have to chop that kid up? Seriously, how much of a threat could he have been?" 

"He kept attacking me!" He yelled at me. 

I stand up straight and scoff while rolling my eyes. "You're such a coward" I grumble. 

"What did you say?!" The man yelled. 

I look back at him sharply. "You disgust me!" I snap at him. "And I'm tired of this conversation."

 "Oh you're tired of talking to me? Well why don't you come down here and we can fight this out like real men!" He yells at me. 

"No thanks." I grumble before turning and lifting my foot off the rope. "I don't see any real men around." 

My trap is sprung and the large hornet nest I was suspending drops and lands on his head. I hear his screaming long after I've walked away. 

Traveling around the forest was peaceful. I've made some great memories in the forest at my old District. 

Suddenly I hear yelling and screaming. I hear a few people running towards me as well. I quickly hide behind a large tree trunk and stay completely still as Cato and Clover run right by me, swatting at what looked like hornets. 

I pull out my bow and arrow and aim at them but stay still and contemplate killing them. 

Hmm. I hear distant panting and heavy footsteps then put my bow and arrow away. Up close an arrow isn't going to work out. 

I step out from behind the tree and feel a girl crumple into me. I watch as she falls to the ground as I stare at her in surprise. 

After a second of shock I notice that it's Katniss!  I didn't think she would team up with Cato, Glimmer and Clover but I guess anything could happen. 

I think she's dead until I see that she's breathing but her face and hands are swelling because of hornets. 

"Oh for star's sake!" I groan as I put my knife back in my belt and crouch down to investigate her. Well, she's alive at least. 

There's a snapping twig behind me and I look over then see Rue. 

"Oh, hey" I say. 

She's frozen to the floor as she stares at me in fear. 

"I'm not going to kill you. I don't kill kids." I say as I reach under Katniss and pick her up. "You're helping Katniss I'm assuming?" I ask. 

Rue stares at me then nods. 

I nod back at her then look down at the bow Katniss dropped. 

"Mind helping me?" I ask. 

Rue scrambled over then picked up the bow and looked at me. "I know where we can put her" She squeaks out. 

Well, I don't have a good place to drop Katniss so I guess I'll take Rue's help for now. 

"Sure, lead the way." I say. 

Rue nods then starts to walk away. 

I follow her and we're silent before she asks "Are you teamed up with Katniss?" 

"Not really." I say "I respect her enough to not let her die like this though. You?" 

She shrugs "I helped her back there. She was stuck in a tree and Cato and his group were waiting for her to come down so I showed her a hornet nest for her to drop on them. I didn't think she would get stung though." 

I shrug "Well, she lasted this long." 

Rue nodded and we were silent for a while until we get to a rock where she stops waling and gestures to the rock. "You can put her there." She says. 

I crouch down and put Katniss down, leaning against the rock. 

"I can find her some leaves that can bring down the swelling." Rue says. 

I nod "Sure, I also have this cream that someone sent to me. It's useless to me seeing as I haven't gotten stung or bitten by an infected creature. 

Rue nodded and ran off. 

I'm crouched beside Katniss and watch her then sigh and tilt my head up at the sky. She's a lot of trouble already. I should just leave her and continue on. I don't owe her anything but I know she'll die if I leave her. Then again, she has Rue. 

I'll just stay with Katniss for now. Man, the Capitol must be eating this right up. 

Ugh! This isn't surviving! This is saving a girl! I'm never going to hear the end of it back at my District until I break someone's nose.