Mistakes

TW// VIOLENCE

    It feels warm. Soft. Too warm. My eyes slowly opened, undisturbed by any brightness. The room was darker than I remember but then again, my memory is still slightly blurry and that's normal for most days since I don't necessarily like to think about things for too long.

My body felt a breeze of cool air brush over me, I instantly pulled the source of warmth closer to my body but when I felt it move back I froze. My head lowered to find Suriah snuggled in my arms, curled into a ball sleeping soundlessly. My jaw clenched as my eyes widened, I didn't wait to push her away and hurry off the bed watching her snuggle into the blankets as I left.

    How long were we like that?

It's not a big deal. We were probably just cold. I ran a hand through my, looking away from Suriah and walked to the bathroom. I shut the door slowly and leaned my head against it, shutting my eyes because as much as I tried, my heart wouldn't relax.

    It's not like this will ever happen again. She's never acted this way.

    I let out a shaky sigh and turned the sink on, splashing my face with cold water in order to get some sense into me. I turned the water off and held the edges of the counter, my eyes closed and chest rising heavily each time I took a breath in. It's barely starting to sting. My hands tightened around the edge.

I opened my eyes and stared at my knuckles from the corner of my eyes, looking pathetically at my hands. Red bruises, cut and slightly bleeding.

    A scoff escaped my lips.

    He would let his own son get beat. My own father watched me get beat by another man, whose name I don't even remember, instead of help me because they were more important to him. And I couldn't do anything about it. I shook my head at the thought.

   They're better. They're better than you, Kieran.

    Like the son I've always wanted.

    Why can't you be like him?

You're a disgrace to our name.

    Every word, every comment made about me from my parents ringed inside my head like an alarm that wouldn't ever stop. It physically hurt to think about them, my head throbbed without ever stopping, it never ended.

    As the ringing in my head got louder, the doorbell ringing invaded my head causing my eyes to shoot open. My head turned to the bathroom door.

    I swung the door open and stormed out, Suriah now well awake.

    "Don't move," I ordered her, my eyes audibly full of demand.

    Could it be Carrow's associate? I doubt it, they've both been eliminated. I silently walked down the steps, made my way to the front door and through the screen connected to the camera, my sister Ava stood questionably looking around.

    What the fuck.

    I groaned along with a long, bothered sigh. I can just pretend I'm not here. That would save me a ton of trouble. Just as I finished the thought, she rang the doorbell again. Fuck, let's just get this over with. I closed my eyes for a brief moment before I unlocked the door and revealed myself to my sister.

    Her eyes widened once she saw me but soon relaxed. Her lips twirled into a smile as she nervously stood before me.

    "Kieran," She greeted, "Can I come in?".