13: Meanwhile...

Just a filler chapter :P

13: Meanwhile…

            Collin Macnab sits on the couch holding his crying wife in arms as the police search their home for any evidence. An officer sits in front of them, patiently waiting for Mrs. Macnab to stop her tears, but knowing mothers, figures that it might be awhile for her to regain control of herself. After all, she was having to process a lot, what with her son and “adopted” daughter disappearing. She sniffles a little more before looking up, revealing puffy red eyes and a tear-streaked face.

            “Mrs. Macnab, I understand that you are going through a lot at the moment, but I really need you to answer some questions for me,” says the officer, quietly and gently. “Can you do that for me?”

            She nods and sniffs again, prompting Collin to pull her a little closer, but without breaking his eye contact from the rug on the floor.

            “Alright,” the officer proceeds. “First, can you give me a description of each child?”

            “Trey has dark hair and blue eyes,” she begins, “fairly tall, and thin. Linley has long, blonde hair and green eyes, also thin but not as tall, but not exactly short either. More average height.”

            “Alright. Do you know if they had any enemies, or if they gave out any personal information anywhere recently?”

            She shakes her head. “No, no enemies that I know of. The two of them don’t tend to socialize very much. And they would never give out their information online or anything like that, they’re both very cautious.”

            The officer nods, jotting down notes. “Where were you when the two disappeared?”

            “Ou-out of town for a…conference…” she continues, more tears flowing from her eyes as she does. Then, she breaks down and begins to cry again. She hides her face in her husband’s shoulder. He frowns and holds her, stroking the small of her back with his thumb and keeping his chin resting on her head.

            “Business trip,” he continues for her. “We left the two here alone.”

            “Ames,” another officer says, entering the room.

            The first officer, Ames, nods in the couple’s direction and quickly says, “Excuse me,” before standing and exiting the room with this partner.

            “What’s the story?” Ames says to the officer.

            “The only signs of struggle are the broken lamp and messed up rug. There were no traces of blood, but that doesn’t mean that the children aren’t hurt.”

            Ames nods slowly, processing the information. “Go on.”

            “But, we did find this,” the officer says, holding up a plastic bag marked “Evidence.” Ames stops in his tracks and takes the bag from him, almost cradling it in his large, rough hands. Within the bag sits a needle, nearly empty besides a few drops of a strange green liquid.

            “Oh no…” he moans quietly.

            “Sir, we have reason to believe that The Envisioneers took them,” the officer says sadly.

Captain Ames hands the bag back to the officer, sits down in a nearby kitchen chair, and slowly puts his head in his hands. He looks up, and with a grim look adorning his face, whispers, “This is much worse than I thought.”