12th

Benny's pov:

The car ride was quiet, except for when my ma ran the stop sign. I looked towards harper, who looked very anxious and sad. we made eye contact and she sent me a fake smile, I looked towards her wrist which already had a medium sized bruise. I should have protected her more, this wouldn't have happened if we didn't let phillips convince us to play against them. "benny, we are home" my ma said shaking me out of my thoughts. I looked at the spot behind the passenger, and harper was gone. 

harpers pov:

I was very anxious to get home, I showed benny my weak side and i felt defeated by lucas. I should have beat him up till he couldn't breathe, but of course I couldn't. he was way bigger than me and my leg isn't healed. I felt weak, and lightheaded. 

We got to the rodriguez's drive way and I bolted out of that car, my mom was yelling at me but I already felt tears coming down my cheeks. I got thru the door and struggled to get up the stairs, but finally got up there. I layed down on my bed and took a 1 hour nap.

I woke up to the sound of pebbles being thrown at my window, so i rolled over and opened my window to see benny and yeah-yeah standing there. yeah-yeah threw another rock but it hit my head, "asshole watch it." I said staring at yeah-yeah, "my bad." he said "night game come one." benny said, "gimmie 5 mins." I said getting up from my bed to put some different clothes on. "mama Im going to the sandlot." I said. it was only 5 but by the time we got all the boys, it would be closer to 6. "ok baby be safe." my mom responded as i struggled to get down the stairs. I went out the door meeting benny and yeah-yeah, "took you longer than 5 mins." yeah-yeah said as I slapped him playfully, benny laughed. "sorry I struggle getting down the stairs." I said hobbling in-between the 2 boys, we went to the main part of the neighborhood and saw some more of the boys. Then we saw ham eating, of course. We went to the Timmons house for the boys, then Bertram met us at the lot. 

at the sandlot:

I went to sit in the dugout because I still can't play baseball, benny was up to bat. he had his batting face one, the one where he doesn't care about anything else but bombing that ball. right as he hit the ball, the fireworks started. everyone was distracted except benny, he just kept running, everyone knew he was gonna make it the the major leagues in the future. After awhile of playing, all the boys went home except for benny and me. we stayed at the sandlot and I pitched the ball as benny was batting, "let's take a break" i said, as benny stomped on home plate. "ok" he said walking towards the pitchers mound, where i was standing. "the sky is beautiful," i said looking at all the different colors going off at the same time, "just like you." benny said, "oh shoot. i didn't mean that." he said probably turning red. "its ok, thanks. you not so bad yourself." I said pushing benny, causing him to fall. but he pulled me down with him. we were inches away from each others face. he looked at my eyes, my lips, smirked, then back up to my eyes. i felt myself blushing. he leaned in, causing me to do the same. we kissed. my first kiss. with benny rodriguez, the guy i developed a crush on this summer. summer of '62. we pulled away, we were both breathing heavy. "you don't know how long i was waiting to do that." benny said quitely, "benny. what are we?" I asked. "im not sure, i hope more than friends." he said, i giggled, "me too." I continued, "but i have to go home now." i said. "ill walk ya home." benny said, "lesss go." he helped me up and then we started walking home. we finally go home, i kissed him quickly then hobbled inside, hoping nobody saw that. "heyyyy harps. what was that?" Cher said, aw crap. "n-nothing." i said turning red. "mmkay i wont tell mom. you guys are cute tho." she said, i rolled my eyes laughing. then I finally made it upstairs, and went to bed. 

"benny. what are we?"

-end of chapter- 

a/n:

ahhhh my heart is full. ok imma do the next chapter.