Chapter 33

After the ceremony, the party began. The music blared. The guests danced and had fun. Owen and Jessica were flying with happiness. Rebecca and Mike were inseparable. Jackson was also with Alice all the time. Apparently, a romance had blossomed between them.

Vanessa, trying to avoid everyone, took off her shoes like many guests had already done and walked down to the shore with a glass of wine. The waves washed over her legs now and then and even soaked the bottom of her dress despite her best efforts to protect it.

But her solitude was disturbed by an unknown man standing next to her.

"A wonderful wedding," he said.

"Yes," Vanessa confirmed. "And the place is beautiful. With an incredible view."

"Mine is even more incredible," the man replied playfully, looking straight at her.

"Thanks... I guess." Vanessa chuckled slightly, but suddenly a feeling of uneasiness came over her and replaced her smile with tension.

"I'm John." The man introduced himself.

"Vanessa."

"Such a beautiful name for such a beautiful girl."

"John." Vanessa cleared her throat slightly, giving herself time to think of what to say. "May I ask you to bring me a glass of wine? Mine's over."

"Of course. What wine do you drink?"

"Chateau Clement Blanc."

"Right away."

The man went to the bar. Vanessa sighed with relief and continued to look out to sea.

"There is no such wine." Cole's voice came from behind her.

"I know," she replied without turning around.

Cole stood next to her. "Right decision."

Vanessa looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm serious, Vanessa. I was about to send him to swim a little if he had told you another gooey word."

Vanessa stood in front of Cole and moved closer to his ear. "You have no right to be jealous of me."

"Then why did you send this fool away?"

"Because of you. Obviously." She looked down. "I feel your presence whenever you're near me, even without seeing you." Then she looked into his eyes again. "And every time, no matter how much I don't want it, everything around just disappears."

Vanessa turned her head to the side, but Cole took her chin gently and turned her face back to him. "Stop doing this, Vanessa. Stop giving me these conflicting signs and run away after that."

"Nessa! I've been looking for you." Danny had walked up to them.

"We're talking here, Dan!" Cole angrily told him.

"Oh, hi, Cole. I didn't think I could interrupt something," Danny replied carelessly.

"You did. So get out of here."

"The last time I checked, the beach was not your property, so I'll stay wherever I want!"

 Vanessa was watching from the sidelines, and although she was already getting nervous at Cole's tone, she couldn't understand why Danny was teasing him on purpose.

"Watch your mouth, Dan!" Cole stood across from him. But when he was about to grab him by the shirt, the steps of another person behind made Cole turn around.

"John, you're back," Vanessa muttered awkwardly.

"I couldn't find the wine you asked for, Vanessa." John handed her a glass in the meantime. "But I hope this one is good for you."