01

"You can't hold on to the past forever"

+Dayvon+

This shit hurt the most, trying to keep myself together when I know most of this was my fault. I should've listened and maybe I could've at least been there for his funeral.

I can't blame the feds for this one.

I wiped my eyes, getting myself together before walking away from his grave. I walked across the street and back to the complex. The last place I wanted to go back to was home.

My mom's boyfriend, Rell, was still here, me and that nigga ain't get along at all. Over time I created hate towards him and my mom. She didn't even know his real name and she was dumb enough to let him stay with us.

The only reason I'm still in Chicago is because it's my last year of school and because of Baby Sky. I can't leave my sister to live with a bum and a delusional ass hoe. She just made it in kindergarten, still too young to go through what I've been going through my whole life.

I feel bad enough for leaving her by herself for some months, but that was on me. I got caught that day, I didn't even try to run.

I was truly tired.

I sighed, preparing myself for the worst. The front door was already opened slightly. I heard yelling and things crashing from inside. I opened the door all the way, revealing broken glass and clothes scattered on the floor.

The smell of cigarettes and liquor filled the air, followed by a horrible stench. I could tell they hadn't cleaned or even attempted to clean while I was locked up. There were stains on the little furniture that we did have, and mold on the walls.

I started to clean off the pills and drinks that were on the table until I heard a window shatter. I started to clean off the pills and drinks that were on the table until I heard a window shatter. I started to walk in to the room to see what they were arguing about, it was usually the same shit. Each time they were argue, one would leave for a week and come back like nothing happened. I learned to mind my own business when it comes to them.

I heard more glass shatter, this time waking up my sister and making her cry. Them arguing didn't make the fact that Skylar has sensory overload issues any better.

I walked into my sisters room, seeing broken-off wood pieces and blood stains on the floor. I went over to her bed, picked her up, and hugged her tight. She wrapped her legs around me, still covering her ears.

I kissed her cheek, rubbing her back to calm her down. Eventually she fell back asleep like nothing ever happened. I carried her to the living room, laying her down on the couch.

My mom stormed out of the room, dragging a suitcase along with her. She walked straight past me, slamming the door as she left.

Rell staggered down into the living room, flopping down on the couch. He had a cigarette in one hand and a piece of glass in the other.

I picked up my sister, moving her away from him in case he got too close. When he was drunk, there is no telling what he would do.

"Put her back down" He said, sternly.

I shook my head, pulling Skylar closer to me. He stood up, backing me into a corner. He took the piece of glass, trying to drag it across her skin.