Chapter 52

Mason POV

I stepped out of the shower and took a deep breath.

Emma was right. I did feel a little bit better after the shower.

I dried myself with a towel and put on a clean pair of sweats and a hoodie. I ran a towel through my hair, trying to dry it the best I could. I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed. I looked tired and distraught, which is exactly how I felt.

I threw the towel in the laundry basket and unlocked the bathroom door.

I opened the door and looked around the room.

My heart stopped instantly.

“Where is Emma?!” I shouted, panicked.

“Next door with Hazel.” Chris said calmly. “They will be right back.”

My gaze flew to the bedroom door, and I thought about going to Hazel’s room to make sure that Emma was okay. Why did she leave the room anyway?

I took a deep breath and clenched my fists. There was no need for me to go get her. She would be okay. She was close by. The fucker was in jail. She was safe.

“Are you okay?” Jax asked, making me look from the door to him.

“I am fine.” I mumbled as I sat down on Emma’s bed. “Why did Emma leave?”

Jax glanced at Chris. There was something weird in the way he looked at him. I narrowed my eyes at them.

“Hazel wanted to show her something.” Chris answered, crossing his arms over his chest. “They will be right back.”

I really hoped they would. I didn’t want to be an overbearing brother, but I wanted Emma close. I felt nervous and scared when I couldn’t see her, and I needed her to come back soon. If not, I will probably go get her myself.

Chris and Jax kept glancing at each other. They looked nervous, and it made me pissed off. What the fuck was wrong with them?

“You are acting weird.” I said, trying to stay calm. “What the fuck is wrong with you two?”

“Nothing.” Jax said as the bedroom door opened.

My eyes fell on Emma immediately, and relief washed over me. She was here. She was okay. She was safe.

I reached out to her, and she walked over to me with a small smile on her face. She sat down next to me, and I pulled her to me immediately.

“Are you feeling a little bit better?” she asked softly as she ran her fingers through my damp hair.

“Yes.” I mumbled.

“Good.” Emma smiled at me.

She looked a little bit worried. Why was that? Was she worried about me? I didn’t want her to worry.

I couldn’t wait for our friends to leave so I could talk to her and tell her she had nothing to worry about.

“Emma.” Chris called her, and I looked up at him.

He was looking at her intently. What the fuck was that about?

I looked at Emma. She was staring back at Chris with a scared look on her face.

“What the fuck is going on?!” I asked angrily, looking back at Chris. “Why is she scared of you? What the fuck did you do to her?!”

I wanted to stand up, but Emma stopped me.

“I am not scared of Chris.” she said, holding my hand tightly. “He didn’t do anything, Mason.”

“Why the fuck are you scared then?” I asked, glaring at Chris.