Chapter 54

Emma POV

I placed my bag on the bed and sat down on the desk chair.

Mason and I moved into one of the empty rooms. The detectives weren’t sure how Derek’s helper entered our room, and Mason didn’t want to take any chances. Also, our room was still being processed, and we couldn’t go back even if we wanted to.

“What bed do you want to sleep in?” Mason asked me as he locked the door.

I pointed at the bed to my right. Mason nodded and placed his bag on it as well.

“What are you doing?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. “Do you want this bed? I can take the other one.”

“We are sharing this one until they catch him.” Mason said sternly, leaving no room for argument.

I nodded and stood up to help him unpack our stuff. We didn’t take much. Just a couple of outfits and the stuff we needed for school.

“I was serious about leaving, Emma.” Mason said as he put his clothes into the closet. “I don’t think we should stay.”

My heart clenched painfully. I didn’t want him to lose everything because of me. Leaving school would mean that we wouldn’t be able to finish and wouldn’t be able to go to college. We could always enroll in another school next year and finish high school. But I would be holding him back, and I didn’t want to do that. He’s already been through so much because of me. I couldn’t take his friends and his future away from him as well. He would have to leave his friends behind. He would have to run and hide with me. What if this person followed us? What if we couldn’t live a normal life anywhere else either?

I felt tears coming and my vision blurred.

I was nothing but a disturbance to him.

Maybe I am the one who should leave? Maybe I could go somewhere until this person is caught? Maybe Mason didn’t have to lose everything because of me?

“Emma?” Mason called my name when I didn’t respond.

Thankfully, he didn’t look up at me. He continued folding his clothes. I was crying and embarrassed because I was crying. I didn’t know what came over me.

I needed to escape for a little bit. I needed to calm down so that we could talk about this without me sobbing, which I was just about to do.

“Maybe.” I mumbled quietly, wiping my cheeks and placing my clothes on the bed. “I am going to take a shower. Can we talk about this later?”

“Of course.” I heard Mason mumble as I bolted toward the bathroom door.

I closed and locked the door, trying to stop a sob from escaping. I leaned on the door, placing a hand over my mouth. More tears fell on my cheek, and I felt like screaming.

I was holding him back. I ruined his life when I came here. He was thinking about leaving his friends and delaying his education because of me. He had to think about me, not about himself.

I should leave. I should take care of him for once. It would be best for everyone if I just left.

But I would be separated from Mason again. I wouldn’t be with my twin. I would miss him terribly.

But this wasn’t about me. It was about him. It was me trying to take care of him for a change. I had to do what was best for him.

I dragged myself to the shower and turned it on, sobbing quietly as I did so. I removed my clothes and sat down on the toilet to pee. My shoulders were shaking and my whole body was in pain.