Chapter 66

Mason POV

“Are you sure that you don’t want to go back to your room?” Chris asked Emma as we sat down at the table. “You look tired.”

“I am okay.” she said, giving him a small smile. “I actually managed to get some sleep.”

I reached out and ran my fingers through her hair. She turned to me and smiled.

“I still think we should have taken another week off.” I said. “Maybe we went back to class too soon.”

Emma insisted that we go back this week. I wanted her to rest a little bit more, but she refused.

“It’s fine, Mason.” she said, picking up her fork and looking down at her plate. “Being in school is helping me. I won’t have time to think about him if I have to focus on schoolwork.”

“I can never focus on schoolwork.” Jax sighed.

Chris and I laughed. Emma chuckled and shook her head. Hazel sighed and rolled her eyes.

“I am not surprised.” Hazel mumbled.

“You love me, Elly.” Jax grinned, pulling her closer to him.

“So, did Peters call?” Chris asked, pulling our attention away from Jax and Hazel, who were now making out.

I felt that first familiar sparkle of anger in my body. I clenched my fists and my body started to tense up.

We talked to them two days ago. Two days since they’ve told us that they couldn’t find evidence against Monica. Two days since they’ve told us that they don’t have any other suspects. Two days since we last heard from them.

I was going insane.

“No.” I said, grabbing my fork. “They don’t know shit.”

“It’s only been two days, Mason.” Emma said softly. “They are doing everything that they can. I am sure of it.”

“Well, I’m not.” I said, stabbing my food aggressively. “They don’t know shit, Emma. They should have caught the bitch by now.”

Emma placed her hand on my back and leaned in to kiss my cheek.

“It’s going to be okay, Massy.” she said quietly. “They are going to catch her.”

I took a deep breath and tried to calm down a little. I was so fucking sick and tired of everyone trying to hurt my sister. They were trying to take her away from me again, and it made me pissed the fuck off. I needed to fight someone. I needed to beat some fucker up and release all of this anger inside of me. But I didn’t because I would end up in jail. And that would separate me from Emma. And that wasn’t happening.

“I agree with Mason.” Chris said. “They need to hurry the fuck up. You deserve some peace, Emma. You deserve to enjoy high school. You don’t deserve to worry about some jealous bitch who wants to hurt you.”

He was as pissed off as me. Well, not exactly as me, but close. Nobody could be as pissed off about this as me, because nobody loved Emma as much as I did.

“They will find her, and I will enjoy high school.” Emma said, giving Chris a small smile. “It’s going to be okay, guys.”

I placed an arm over her shoulders and pulled her to me. I placed a kiss on the top of her head and took a deep breath. I wondered how she remained this positive despite everything that happened to her. How did she still trust the police after everything that they’d put her through? She’s been having terrible nightmares and she’s been so fucking afraid for the last few days, but she still somehow managed to believe that everything would be okay. How?