13

I stared blankly at the wall as Izzy finished speaking to her on the phone. "What...?"

    "Her father is claiming that he isn't her father. He's claiming that she's just the neighbor's kid and refusing to pay."

    I blinked, still registering her words.

    "I need you to find out from Cleo herself. Find out if she's actually his daughter or not. If she is, bruise her a bit and send me a picture that we can use to...hurry things along."

    "What if he still doesn't pay?" I asked, but I already knew the answer.

    "Then you can slit her throat."

    There were other details to go over, but they weren't necessary now. I had been dreading the prospect of talking with Cleo ever since she mentioned her father. She was so young. She reminded me of...

     I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. "Alright, I'll go talk with her."

    I was about to hang up when Izzy sighed. I paused, my eyebrow raising as I guessed why she was lingering.

    "Asa, did you get my text message last week?"

    "No," I lied.

    There was a pause. "I see. Well, how are you?"

    I blinked in slight annoyance. "There's no need for small talk. How are your bruises?"

    Izzy burst out in laughter. "I should've known this was the way to do it. Sometimes I forget how blunt you like to be." She sighed again, a smile apparent in her voice. "I'm perfectly healed...and, I'd like to see you again."

    "Seriously?" I blurted out.

    I had tried to make it bad enough that she wouldn't want to see me again. I hadn't held back in my sadistic sexual fantasies at all. Izzy was somewhat of a nuisance. But she was pretty, and she was willing.

    "Why so surprised?" she asked. "Sure...it shocked me and I needed some space, but you showed your true self with me. And I'm...okay...with it."

    Hmmm. If she was willing to let me unleash on her here and there, then it would help me with the voice in my head, even just a little. That's what Star had been for me. But I didn't want a relationship from Izzy.

I just wanted to use her.

    "I know you only want sex," Izzy jumped in, stopping my thoughts yet continuing them in the same sentence. It impressed me for sure. "I'm okay with that. But only if you stay with me until morning instead of leaving right after. It was...hard. When you left."

    I pondered for a minute. "Sure, fine."

    "Okay," Izzy said. Her voice had noticeably brightened. "I'll come over on Wednesday next week." She hung up before I could argue.

    "Yeah, alright," I said into the receiver, then tossed my phone on the table. This could be problematic for me.

I glanced over at the door that led to the basement, then dragged a hand over my bruised face, feeling my eyes close. I wanted to sleep. I could practically hear my bed calling out to me...longingly.

    Anything would be better than this.

    I forced myself toward the door, shoving the key in the lock and turning the handle slowly. I noticed an almost subconscious desire to be quiet in case she was sleeping, and I scowled, kicking the door wide open.

    She's a hostage. She's nothing to me.

    I yanked the door shut behind me, locking it, and tromping down the stairs loudly. The nightlight was still plugged in, and I turned on a battery powered lamp, illuminating the stone and dampness of the basement. Cleo was awake, watching me. She had physically changed since she'd first been brought here. Skinnier, paler, with circles under her eyes and matted hair. Still, her eyes brightened when she saw me, which made me cringe internally and look away for a split second.