36

"We have a problem," Jazz said into her phone. "The child that Asa asked me to get from her property...has been killed."

    "How do you know?"

    "I stood at the forest line and saw the body of a small girl being dragged out of the house." Jazz swallowed. "I'm back in my car now, and I didn't see Asa."

    "Shit," Locke cursed over the phone. "She's not handling jackshit. Goddammit."

    "What do we do now?"

    "Well, Sterling has a couple guys watching Persia's house, just in case her trash husband tries crawling back, so that's covered. We need to do something. How many-"

    "There were two big SUVs there, and another car that I didn't recognize."

    "Alright. Shit."

    Jazz gripped the steering wheel, staring blankly out of the windshield. What the hell is she supposed to do?

    "I'm not much of a gangster, you know," Locke said, laughing weakly. "That's more of Sterling and Asa's thing."

    "Not Asa anymore..."

    "You're right. Let me add Sterling to the call."

    Jazz waited as his voice went silent, her heart seeming to beat faster with each minute that passed.

    "Yo," Sterling's voice said. "Lemme guess, Asa's in deep shit."

    Jazz told Sterling everything she'd told Locke, and Sterling was quiet for a moment.

    "Did you see any of the SUVs leave?"

    "Yeah."

    "Okay. Locke, if you're home, leave."

    "What, why?"

    "If Asa's inside, and they just killed a little girl she was protecting, then I'd assume they're trying to get information from her that she's not willing to give. I might be wrong, but that's my first thought. And if that little girl didn't work, then they might be going out to collect others who might work, like us, or her family members."

    "Oh, fuck," Jazz whispered.

    "I'll go get Joe from the hospital," Locke volunteered.

    "Alright. I'll get Persia."

    "Wait! What about Asa?" Jazz cried out.

    "Once we secure everyone, we'll do something about Asa."

    "But - what if they kill her?!"

    Sterling chuckled dryly.

    "They won't kill her," Locke answered. "Trust me."

    The phone line went dead, and Jazz steadied her fast breathing. She had her doubts, but she would trust her boyfriend and Sterling.

    Stay alive, Asa.

-

Max stared down at Asa's unconscious body, his fists clenched and body shaking. He wanted to kill her for not telling him where Izzy was.

    "I never should've let them get involved," he mumbled, rubbing a hand down his face.

    Izzy...my little sister. I have a soft spot for you, how could I not give you what you wanted? But now...look what's happened.

    "Put her down in the basement, restrain her," he ordered, waving a hand. "Oh, and shoot the two who are down there."

    Asa's ex and her brother, supposedly. He didn't give a shit anymore.