18

Izzy stared at Max, her brother, with disdain. "I'm not interested."

    "Come on, Iz," he groaned, leaning back in his chair as he looked at her. "She's a nice girl, and she's totally into you. I think you should-"

    "I'm in love with someone else," Izzy interrupted, scoffing. "So can it."

    Max raised an eyebrow. "Yeah. The emotionless, unavailable Asa, is that right?"

    Izzy ignored his comment, leaning forward. "I get that she's a nice girl, brother. Are you trying to set us up because you think she's nice, or because she's the daughter of someone in a high place, and it'd be an arrangement that would benefit you and your gang?"

    "Our gang. You have just as much say in this organization. And stop calling it a gang. We're recognized as a legitimate business."

    "Then stop with your petty kidnappings!" Izzy slammed her hands down on Max's desk, glaring at him. "They're annoying and you - WE...are gonna get caught."

    "They're not petty. And no, we won't get caught, because we do it so rarely, and because my standing and popularity is growing. Those who push back against me deserve some kind of monetary punishment. And I dole it out in a much more sophisticated manner than other gangs have."

    Izzy tsked, sitting back in her chair and crossing her legs. "Whatever, bro. I'm not going on a date with your girl."

    Max sighed, leaning his elbows onto the desk. "Asa will rip your heart out."

    Izzy rolled her eyes. "Let her."

    "Hmmm. I don't know if I will," Max said, watching his sister closely as her eyes flicked to his. "You may be my sister, but I'm the one with the power here."

    "Your point?" Izzy asked, her gut twisting in a knot as her body stiffened, preparing for what Max was most likely going to say.

    "I know what Asa did to you, those weeks ago when you visited her." Max leaned back again, his hands behind his head. "Not that I care. You're both adults, and I know you never do things that you don't want to do. The thing is, Izzy, Asa did the same thing to a woman years ago, but she was in a relationship with her. I know this, because I was close to Asa in our up and coming organization, and I knew about them being together. In fact, so did you. But I knew the details."

    "Get on with it," Izzy spat angrily, feeling her muscles tensing.

    "That woman that Asa was involved with is still obsessed with her, years later. It's kept her from finding happiness elsewhere. And you know what? Asa was able to end the relationship without giving a shit. And she still doesn't. Don't you get it, Izzy? Asa doesn't give a shit about you, at all. And she never will."

    "It doesn't matter," Izzy said, leaning forward in her seat. "I know all of this already-"

    "Yeah, yeah, I know you know," Max cut her off. "That's the problem. If I don't intervene, you'll end up like the last woman. I can't let this happen, especially when you're such an important asset to our growing, expanding organization. Do you get it?"

    "I don't care what you say," Izzy said smoothly. "I'll do what I want, no matter what. You can't stop me."

    Max shrugged. "Yeah, I guess I can't. But, the next time you go to visit Asa, I'm sending one of my men with you. If I find out that you two sleep together, or do anything at all, I'll report Asa to the police for being involved in a kidnapping."

    Izzy stood up, bursting with rage. "WHAT?"

    Max watched her solemnly. "The possibility of the current package being paid for is looking slim, so it wouldn't cost me anything. Asa would go to prison for years. Is that what you want, Izzy?"

    "Aren't you her friend?" Izzy seethed.

    "Sure, I am," Max responded. "But you're my sister. I'm just looking out for you. We're family."

    "You expect me to just throw it all away?" Izzy screeched. "I'm going to see her in a couple days, did you know about that too?"

    Max nodded. "I know everything. Wherever you go, someone is going with you now." He stood up, leaning over his desk with his fingers spread on the wood. "I'm not interested in having a whack job for a sister who can't stop stalking someone she'll never have."

    Izzy stared at him, her mouth agape.

    Max sat back down, obviously pleased with himself. "However, I am willing to negotiate."

    "I hate you."

    Max ignored her statement as he continued speaking. "If you meet with this woman, who likes you and isn't insane, and go on all the dates I have set up for you, then I'll look past one more unsupervised visit to Asa's."

    Izzy was seething. Her jaw was clenched, teeth grinding against each other. She was being treated like a child, by her own fucking brother. How stupid! But...she didn't want Asa to go to jail. Especially not because of her own actions.

    "No," Izzy hissed. "I'll go on one date, for one visit."

    Max narrowed his eyes. "Absolutely not."

    "This is fucking ridiculous!" Izzy screamed, her eyes crazed with anger. "I'm not a child!"

    "I'm not backing down," Max said. "If you want to pitch a fit, go ahead. But I won't sit back and watch as you fall prey to someone who doesn't care about you."

    "I'm not FALLING PREY. I'm choosing to engage, and I'm not going to lose my head, you piece of shit! I'll fucking kill you!"

    "If you can't speak calmly with me, then get out."

    Izzy was breathing hard, her chest heaving up and down.

    "I'm not saying that you can't ever see Asa again," Max said. "I'm being generous."

    Izzy swallowed, forcing herself to relax.

    He can't control me.

    There's a way out.

    It can be done. I can figure it out.

    "Fine. I'll go on two dates instead of one."

    "Five."

    "Two."

    "Five."

    "Two."

    "FIVE."

    "Three."

    Max ground his teeth in frustration. "Three...three...? God, you're so stubborn. Fine, I agree to your terms. Now get out."

    Izzy smirked, leaning forward, getting close to Max's face. "You'd better watch your back, brother."

    Max smirked back. "I said...get...out."

    Izzy righted herself and spun on her heel, exiting her brother's office as she beelined for the exit. She wouldn't accept this.

    She was in love.

    It didn't matter if it was with the wrong person. She was doing what she wanted, wasn't she? Max didn't have the right to get between her and what she wanted.

    He would pay for this.