34

What am I even doing this all for?

    The body was buried in the yard now. The two men had stomped their feet over the dirt, packing it in. Was my yard the new gravesite for the organization?

I didn't even know Cleo. I should've just killed her when I had the chance.

    No, the two men should be killed.

    Why the hell was Percy even in my basement?

    My siblings would be safer without me alive, wouldn't they?

    But there was no guarantee that Max wouldn't go after them in a rage and kill them too.

    No...he's not like that. He's fair, isn't he?

    "I'm losing it..." I muttered, pressing my fingers into my temples, watching my thoughts continue to spiral out of control.

-

"Your stab wound is shallow," Star said, examining Percy's leg. "It'll heal fast."

    Percy glanced up the stairwell, where he could see Asa's leg jumping up and down from her seat at the table. "What's going on up there?"

    Star paused, shaking her head. "Asa...isn't doing too well. I think she's having some kind of meltdown."

-

I have to kill Max.

    I know what I have to do.

    I have to kill Max.

    An ear splitting grin took over my face, and I dropped my head into my hand. "That's it..." My voice was slightly slurred from the alcohol, but I was steady enough. Probably.

    I'll kill them ALL.

    But first...I needed to get Cleo off the property. She was a ticking time bomb, and totally unpredictable, as she had shown me. Much like myself.

    I'll kill the two men, then I'll get Cleo out of here.

    No, no, no.

    I need help.

    My eyes widened. "Jazz. I can call Jazz," I whispered.

    I dialed her number without a second thought, holding the phone up to my ear. She answered on the third ring.

    "Asa?"

    "I need your help," I said.

    "Tell me what you need," Jazz asked without hesitation.

    "There's a girl named Cleo in the tree house on my land, you know the one?"

    "Yes."

    "I can't leave the house right now. But her life is in danger, and I need her off the property ASAP. Once this shitshow is over, I'll explain the details to you."

    "I'm leaving now."

    Relief rushed through my body like a wave, and I sagged against the back of the chair. "Don't come through the front. Go to the side of the road and go through the forest."

    "Got it."

    "Jazz?" I said after a heartbeat.

    "Yeah?"

    "Be careful."

    The call ended, and I took a breath.

    Now...Max usually had routine check-ins with his men to make sure everything was in order. I'd need to keep them alive so they'd be able to respond. Instead, I'd lure Max in first.

    I could do it all in one fell swoop.

    I stood up, holding my cell phone, and walked outside to where the men were. They lifted their heads as I approached them, seemingly on edge.

    Good instincts.

"Yo," I said to them, putting on a shocked expression. "Izzy...just called me. She says she's coming back."