Nelson Christmas

A/N: Inspired by Alice's book 'This Winter'.
We know how the Spring's Christmas is, so why not show the Nelson's?
Hope you guys have a safe and good Holiday!

Sarah set the presents under the tree, rubbing her tired eyes. Even if her sons are practically grown ups now, she still tried to keep the Christmas tradition alive.

Ever since Stephane divorced Sarah and left to Paris, they always had a hard Christmas. She would never forget five year old Nick's confused face as Stephane didn't show up for Christmas the first time years ago.

David had never been the same since their divorce. He always got angry, and upset easily. He took most of his anger out on Nick, which wasn't fair. Sarah has tried to talk to him about it, but just got ignored in return.

Sarah looked up in surprise as someone she heard footsteps come down the stairs; she thought everyone was asleep.

It was around 1am on Christmas Eve.

Nick yawned as he walked into the kitchen to get some water. Nellie was following behind him like a shadow.

"Mom? What are you doing up?" Nick asked as he got a glass out.

"I could ask you the same." Sarah hummed. She let nellie outside to run around in their fenced yard.

"Couldn't sleep." Nick replied honestly as he sat at the counter. He sipped on his water and looked at his mom.

Sarah nodded and sat with Nick. She loved how Nick is so pure, gentle and sweet. Even if his own life wasn't perfect, he still loved others just as much.

"I got up to set up the gifts." Sarah answered and took Nick's hand as he seemed sad.

"Did dad reach out at all?" Nick asked, a hopeful look in his eyes. He asked this question every year, even if he already knew the answer was going to be no.

"No." Sarah sighed and rubbed nick's hand comfortingly. "I'm Sorry."

"It's not your fault mom." Nick assured, not surprised with her reply. He took a sip of his water.

"I know, I just hope that I give you guys a good Christmas." Sarah tried not to get emotional, but tears whelmed in her eyes anyways.

"Oh mom" Nick squeaked and hugged Sarah gently. "You do, you really do." he assured. "I wouldn't ask for it any other way. It's great every year. Even if dad isn't here."

Sarah smiled at her son and kissed his forehead. "Love you bub." She fixed his hair gently. Nick whined in protest but let her. "Love you too."