20. {Insanity}

Four days

I was counting days, Jesse was leaving soon but I hadn't told him anything. We talked every night about random stuff. He was the butterfly that came into my life because of the sting I got from a deadly bug.

I was arranging my closet, I tried on clothes that I never knew I had. I ended up tossing them to the depths of my closet knowing that those clothes weren't me.

I was in front of the mirror lost in my thoughts before my mother came into the room.

"Hey, darling. Jace is gonna drive your father and I to the police station, there's been recent developments on Oliver's whereabouts," she explained to me and I nodded. "Call me if you need anything, Jade is also gonna be staying at home."

I nodded to that as well before she kissed my head goodbye. I resumed arranging my closets and did that until I got hungry enough to go downstairs to eat breakfast, my phone in my hand as I anticipated Jesse's text that morning.

Do you like flowers?

My cheeks flushed as I read the message while I sat in the kitchen to eat.

• I'm not sure, I've never really thought about it.

"What shit are you onto smiling to your phone like that?" I heard Jade's voice as she walked into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water from the refrigerator.

I ignored her and scrolled through the pictures of the flowers that Jesse sent to me. I sensed her walking away until she turned to talk again,

"I'm going for my power nap, don't even think about waking me for anything," she told me.

I nodded my head to whatever Jade said as I scrolled down to finally pick a purple tulip and send it to him.

• What are you gonna do with the flowers?

• I'm gonna buy them for you.

• Are you going to give it to me yourself?

Yeah, I'm gonna branch and drop it.

I didn't know what Jesse and I were doing, I didn't even want to think about it too deep. Whatever it was, I didn't want to jinx it.

I walked back to my room once I was done eating. I didn't even think about the space in my stomach that needed to be filled, Jesse was just the perfect distraction.

I locked the door in and grabbed my headphones and played Labyrinth. I closed my eyes and imagined the rain as my stomach fluttered, I closed my eyes and daydreamed about Jesse and I dancing in the rain. It was perfect.

"To believe you are dancing happily after you ruined my life,"

That was what I heard once I took off my headphones. I froze that instant, my heart rate palpitating. I didn't want to turn, I couldn't.

"Now, you'll watch me set your whole life on fire," he said again before I felt his body tower upon mine.

He wasn't supposed to be here.

How did he get in?

How did he find me, again?

"H-how did you get in?" I stuttered as I backed away from him. My first instinct was to scream, so I screamed loudly.

Furious, Oliver grabbed my hair and threw me against the locker. "You think this is a scar you can heal from?" he spat, his voice full of evil.

My whole body ached as I tried to stand, I couldn't.
That was when I saw the scars on Oliver. Big ugly ones underneath his eyes as well as the bandage on his left hand.