Chapter 17: The Bridal Shoot

"Can I get a quick bite before I leave, Tanika?" Lorena said, walking into the kitchen. After tossing and turning all night, wondering what precisely sexy bridal meant and why she was getting involved in this at all, she finally concluded that she was doing it for the kids.

"Good morning, my lady. I made croissants." Tanika replied, already setting the plate.

"Oh, Tani, you spoil me so well. How come you know how to cook this good." She asked, already salivating.

Tanika giggled, loving the shortened version of her name, especially coming from Lorena. "From my grandma. She had both African and Spanish heritage. She taught me everything I know about cooking."

Lorena's face grew sad momentarily. It was too bad she didn't know her mother long enough to learn many things. They were also not very close to the other relatives.

"Are you okay?" Tanika sounded worried, and that made Lorena smile.

"Of course I'm fine," She hopped on the kitchen slab. "I just remembered something, but it's not important." She said but paused when she noticed the mortified look in Tanika's eyes.

"What is it, Tanika?"

"It's just, I mean, you're...." She pointed at the slab.

"What?" Lorena followed the direction of her hands, then smiled. "Are you surprised I'm sitting on a slab?"

Tanika nodded, and Lorena drew her head and laughed.

"Oh, Tani, you're such a darling. You made me remember my dad. If he sees me right now, I would be in big trouble. He has always believed in a lady acting properly, but Tanika sometimes, proper is boring. Now hand me the food." She stretched out her hands, and Tanika handed it over to her.

"You're so different from the other lady." Tanika blurted out before she could stop herself.

"What, lady?" Lorena casually asked, biting into her croissant. "Oh, this is so good." She muttered between bites.

"It's nothing." She said and quickly turned around to continue her cleaning.

"Tanika?" Lorena called, but her voice was no longer casual. It was the voice of her boss, and Tanika knew she couldn't escape an explanation.

"It's just," She dropped the rag she was holding and sighed. "This is not my business, but when I returned yesterday, I saw a lady with the lord in the living room."

"Okay?" Lorena leaned in, suddenly interested.

"Before your engagement to the lord was confirmed, he used to see that lady. I mean, they used to be together, and she was always so nasty to the staff. When he was present, she acted all nice, but whenever he was away, she became a tyrant."

"You're talking about Lauren, right?"

"Yes, my lady. Madam Lauren."

It all started clicking in Lorena's head. No wonder they had been all mushy the previous day. She couldn't believe what a coward Markris was. He didn't even have the decency to introduce her as his ex. He would have spared her from all the embarrassment. The mere thought of them laughing at her ignorance after she left was more triggering than anything she had endured thus far. She wished Tanika had not told her. She was going to go for her appointment mad now.

"My lad, I'm sorry if I've upset you," Tanika said, worried lines spreading across her forehead.

"You did nothing wrong, Tanika. If anything, you've helped solve a puzzle. Can you pack this in a takeaway for me? I'll eat it in the car."

"Okay, my lady." She took the plate and set to work, hoping she had not spoken out of turn.

Lorena stepped outside of the house, ready to leave. She had not met most of the staff yet, so she wasn't exactly sure who was in charge of the cars. However, she had told Tanika earlier on to tell them to ready a car for her. Soon as she stepped out, a man in his early thirties approached her.