Buries

I stood in-front of the mirror as I checked my tie. I wore a dark blue suit with glossy, black shoes.

"Alex, stop checking yourself out and help me!" Dante whined from the bathroom.
He couldn't do his tie. I just laughed as he stood quietly, looking defeated.
"Why do neither of you two know how to do your ties, I was the one who grew up without a father you know?" I sighed.

Dante wore a brown suit with brown leather shoes and a black tie to match. His suit had a checkered pattern woven into it. I rolled my eyes after doing his tie in two seconds. Dante seemed nervous as he stood by the mirror. I noticed a glimmer of doubt in his eyes.

"What did you think of Sofia?", he asked suddenly, breaking the silence and grabbing my attention.

"Not much, she seems more like a distraction if anything. I want her gone", I scoffed, as I sat on the edge of my bed.

"I liked her, she seemed nice", Dante smiled stupidly in the mirror.

It seems like he also has a crush now even though he's bringing his 'one true love' to the mafia ball. He did this every month with a different girl, he'd obsess over her for a month, then she'd leave him and he'd be heartbroken until the next girl came along. Either way, i'm not sure if he is simply idiotic or if he's just that clueless. He of all people should know that you don't let someone you love become vulnerable to that type of danger. He should know that something happens at every ball they host; especially Kai's mafia parties. I was taking no risks, I knew I had to end it with Deja once again. It wouldn't be easy but I had made up my mind.

"Don't start Dante, she's a nuisance. We need to get rid of her. She will make him soft!", I spoke with viciousness in my tone. I didn't even notice that I was gripping the bed frame with anger.

"Woah, Alex. Calm down, she's just a girl", Dante widened his eyes in shock at my reaction.

"She'll be the end of our mafia!" I yelled, springing to my feet and grabbing Dante's collar.

"Are you two ready to leave?", Ace muttered, entering the room. He stood in-front of me as I held Dante by his collar. His eyes narrowed with anger while he grabbed my wrist. For a moment, I felt my anger dissipate, but then it came back twice as strong.

"Know your place", Ace whispered, his jaw clenching with anger.
I scowled before releasing Dante.
"You promised me that if I became your right hand, you would help me get revenge" I spat. "And now you spend all of your time with that girl."
"What the fuck are you talking about, you've saw me with her once and you're already making assumptions. Either way, if I wanted to spend all my time with Sofia then I would" He snapped back, anger filling his darkened eyes and his hands shaking with rage.
"You made a promise Ace, you better keep it!" I warned him, pressing my finger into his chest. He didn't like that at all. If I could've taken something back, it would've been that.

Before I knew it, Ace had thrown me against the wall with little to no effort. I could see the anger he holds, the anger he buries.

I groaned in pain as Ace's hand stayed planted against my chest, holding me to the wall.

"Ace maybe you should-", Dante was interrupted by Ace's singular finger, signalling for him to keep quiet.
"I am fucking tired of people thinking they can order me around, I am the mafia boss. You are somebody I plucked from the street."

The pure rage coming from Ace had frightened me. I had witnessed it before, yet it was never aimed at me. Maybe I had taken this a step too far. Maybe it was time to admit I was wrong, at-least wrong for the way I chose to handle it. My pride however, would never allow that, either way, I didn't have much to lose. I wanted him to be angry. I wanted him to be furious. Furious enough to do something. I could only hope that the mafia ball would live up to my expectations.

The amount of pressure building on my chest was almost enough to crush my sternum. I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the mafia ball, Ace could kill me; here and now and I would never be found. Not that anyone would bother to look.

"Understood?" Ace yelled, scaring Dante and I.
"Yes, boss" Dante mumbled, nodding repeatedly. Ace's glare suddenly turned to me. I hadn't said anything, mostly because his hand was crushing my chest, barely allowing me to breathe, let alone speak.
"Yes, boss" I managed to croak out, my words feeling insincere.

He lifted his hand from my chest and I instantly began to cough, gasping for air.

"Ice, you are on your last warning. One more and you're gone," Ace said, there was no remorse. I couldn't tell if he even considered me a friend. He was choosing some girl over me.
"I'll see you both at the ball", he spoke while fixing his suit jacket. He glanced in the mirror, putting his hair back in place.

Dante and I just stared at each-other, speechless.

"You're a dick" He muttered before leaving the room. He wasn't wrong.

I was alone in my room now. I let a sigh escape my lips as I slapped the palm of my hand against my forehead. I'm stupid. Maybe I did take it too far. I closed my eyes with regret as I leaned my head against the wall.

"Ice?" I heard someone say.
"Yes?" I replied, not caring about who it was.
"You hired me, to come to the ball with you" a girl spoke. She had black hair and thin lips.
"Yes, we're leaving in a minute, could you just wait outside the building" I asked her politely.
"Of course," she smiled, leaving the room.

(My bad, the next chapter is the ball chapter, I just didn't want to leave you all waiting on a chapter :D. It'll be up soon, I have most of it written)