Prologue

• Dedicated to Wattpad

Twenty Dollars-Worth of Love

© Copyright 2013

A novel by Lucas Wayward

All Rights Reserved

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Prologue

"I hate you," I said in a whisper, but it was still enough for him to hear.

"You know you love me," he said, and even if I wasn't looking at him I'm sure a stupid grin was spreading across his face.

"Yeah, keep dreaming," I said rolling my eyes as I leaned on the tinted window. It was still raining, and due to the unfortunate turn of events I am really starting to hate the rain.

"Oh yeah? You want to make a bet?" he said as his grin was replaced by a smirk.

"Ten bucks that I don't love you," I said as I raised an eyebrow at him and imitated his signature smirk.

"Twenty bucks and you will," he said sounding as secured as ever. Huh, I can't wait to get my hands on that twenty bucks of him and prove him wrong.

"You're on," I said as we pulled into my house's driveway.

"Can I come in?" he asked as I unbuckled my seatbelt.

"No way are you going in my house again," I said sarcastically as I slung my bag on my shoulder.

"Come on. After what I just did for you?" he said and rested his forearm on the steering wheel.

"Which part? That part where you ditched me or the part where you dragged me in your car?" I said crossing my arms across my chest.

"I did not drag you!" he said defensively.

"But you sure as hell ditched me," I said as I stuck my tongue out at him like a kid.

"I'm sorry, okay? Can I come in now, please?" he said and put on a puppy face.

"Fine, fine," I said throwing my hands up in defeat. Damn, I should have seen that puppy face coming.

"But under one condition," I said as we got out of his car.

"What?" he asked as he straightened his navy blue shirt with his hands.

"No monkey business," I said as I gave him a look that says I-know-what-your-thinking.

"Of course not," he said and gave me an innocent look.

Tsk, tsk. He and his stupid gorgeous face.