Chapter 9

Twenty Dollars-Worth of Love

Chapter 9

My thoughts were interrupted by another knock on the door. I quickly kicked Alex off of my bed and him, having his eyes closed fell instantly on the floor.

"What the hell?" he said as he flashed his eyes open once he landed on the floor.

I put a finger on my lips telling him to shut up.

"What?" I said sounding a bit annoyed. I was in the middle of contemplating whether Alex was for real or not and someone dared to interrupt me.

"It's us. We're leaving now," I heard someone from outside. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Selma, Heather and Penny leave before the weekends. It's their day offs during the weekends, and because Dad won't be back 'til next week, let's just assume that my weekend would consist of movie marathons and tons of cookie dough flavored ice cream.

And a date with your ex, my inner thought said. Oh, right.

"Okay, take care guys," I said poking my head out the door. Both Heather and Penny said their goodbyes, but strangely Selma didn't said much. Usually she's the one who always says where my food is, where are the emergency numbers and other things. She barely even glanced at me when she said goodbye. What's with her? Shrugging I went back inside and found Alex lying on his side. 

"Alone now, are we?" he said wiggling his eyebrows.

"Not in your life, jerk," I said rolling my eyes as I went to my bedside table. I quickly got my phone and dialed the pizza shop's number.

"What are you doing?" Alex asked as he shifted to a sitting position.

"Getting us dinner," I answered as I heard the other line ringing.

"No, no, no. We are making dinner," he said as he grabbed my phone out of my hand and pressed the 'End Call' button.

"What? I'm not really sure if my Dad would want to go home and find a burnt up kitchen," I said as I watched him place my phone back on the bedside table. I mean, let's face it, I can't go near the kitchen without burning something.

"Oh come on, trust me," he said as he held my hand and pulled me downstairs. Strange enough, the words 'trust' and 'Alex' started to form at the back of my mind. I didn't know why, but it sent tingles up and down my spine. Sighing I pushed the thought away and enjoyed as Alex held my hand all the way to the kitchen.

***

"Do you cook?" I asked as I watched Alex ravage through the fridge and the cupboards. But instead of answering he asked me a question.

"Do you like apple pies?" he asked as he placed three apples on the table.

"Love them," I said as I picked up a stool and sat near the kitchen counter.

"Watch and learn, rookie," he said as he sliced the apples like a pro. My mouth was hanging open as I watch him work around the kitchen. Life is so freaking unfair. How can Alex learn how to work like that in the kitchen while I can't even fry an egg?

"How can you do that?" I asked him. He just smirked and continued on his attempt to make an apple pie. I watched as he placed the now minced apples on a baking pan filled with whatnots that I hardly know. 

He then bent down and placed the pan inside the oven. I repeat, he bent down, which caused his muscles to flex. Eyes somewhere else, Sky!

"You know, I think we should get to know each other more," Alex said as picked up a stool and sat in front of me.