VIII

Life is so ironic. It takes sadness to understand happiness, noise to appreciate silence, and absence to understand presence.

Unfortunately, some people will only learn to appreciate you by losing you.

Cale awoke to find himself surrounded by sleeping people. He looked at Ron, who was tightly gripping his hand. He did not know how long he had been sleeping, but he knew that staying with these two would be detrimental to his health.

He pushed himself out of bed, ignoring the pain in his chest and head.

He looked at Choi Han, who was making sure Ron and Vicross were sound asleep.

He patted the old man on the back, brushed his hair away from his face, and said, "I only want to be around people who love me, not people who pretend to."

Yet...

"Thank you, Ron... for being there for me during the darkest days of my life."

He rose to his feet and took Choi Han's hand in his. Choi Han carried him without hesitation, and they left the inn, leaving the father and son behind.

Throughout their journey, Choi Han remained silent. Cale was in pain as well, but everything is fine. He realized right away that using his life would be nothing more than a show for the gods.

"How long have I been asleep?"

Choi Han responded, "A week, Cale-nim." He sat on one of the large trees, carefully tucking Cale into his arms.

"I'm sorry."

"It is all right, Cale-nim..."

He wanted to travel alone, but Choi Han accompanied him.

"Ah, it is around that time."

"What time?"

"We need to go somewhere and save someone, Choi Han."

Cale smiled. They have already arrived in the territory of Tolz. Choi Han piggybacked him to the nearest inn to the villa where Cale desired to stay.

It is a good thing Choi Han took Ron and Vicross' money before they left. He knew Cale's body could not withstand the harshness of the wilderness.

But... "Hyung-nim?" Cale turned around to see Bassen standing right behind him. The boy looked at him with his eyes turning red in anger. Cale trembled lightly. He expected Bassen to go the other way, but he found himself in a remote area he is never visited in his three previous lives.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! WHERE WERE YOU!? DIDN'T YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COUNTY AFTER YOU LEFT?!"

Cale remained silent. Bassen was staring at him and questioning him, but Cale refused to respond.

"What is WRONG, HYUNG-NIM? Are not YOU THE ONE WHO WOULD DO ANYTHING TO INFURIATE EVERYONE? WHY ARE YOU ANSWERING? Are not YOU GOOD AT TAUNTING PEOPLE?! Are not YOU GOOD AT SHUTTING PEOPLE DOWN?! HYUNG-NIM!"

Cale remained deafeningly silent. Choi Han tried to silence the noble, but Cale was holding the hem of his shirt.

"Is not it wonderful?"

"You would not have to put up with the bastard hyung-nim who you despised the most," Cale said as if he had heard the most absurd thing in the world.

Cale looked at Bassen.

But he held his breath the moment he saw Bassen's pained expression.

"Hold that person now," Bassen said, "we are going back to the county!"