IX

"Choi Han..."

Cale called out Choi Han's name softly. The person who used to beat him up for the past three regressions has now become his only companion.

"Would you believe me if I told you that this is my fourth and final life?"

Choi Han is staring at him. The fire they built sputtered silently into the night.

"I believe you," Choi Han said. "Would Cale-nim believe me if I told him I was not from this world?"

Cale nodded and smiled.

"This is my final regression, Choi Han."

This is his one and only chance.

They remained silent for a few moments.

"Is that why you keep pushing everyone away?"

Cale shook his head.

"I just can't take another Heartbreak, Choi Han."

Choi Han hitched his breath the moment he heard Cale.

"I am hearing all the words that I did not hear in the previous ones," Cale said bitterly. "If... They said so, would I live differently now?"

Choi Han remained silent. He just looked at Cale with a tender gaze. This man had no one to lean on. He did not have anyone right now. He can tell he is scared of everything that is about to happen to him, but he still takes a step forward.

This man is looking for something that no one can provide.

"Cale-nim, you will be healed, forgiven, and refreshed very soon, free of all trauma, pain, guilt, and shame," Choi Han finally said.

Clae cast a glance at Choi Han.

"I sincerely hope it happens... and that you smile from the bottom of your heart."

I wish him the happiest life possible.

[***]

When Deruth's hand landed on Bassen's cheeks, he turned to the right.

"You let your brother go? Bassen, did you think I was a fool?" Deruth arrived just as Cale was leaving the inn.

Bassen was standing blankly, thinking of all the things he and the whole family have done.

"I did, and I do not regret it."

He used to look up to and respect this person, but he began to question their actions and how they treated Hyung-nim.

He was hurt when Deruth became addicted to alcohol after Cale left. He saw his mother attempt to break it, but Deruth was always on the run, looking for his son. His grief could not keep up with his health, so he turned to alcohol to help him cope.

They are not a good family.

They were never a good family, no matter how the nobles perceived them.

"Bassen Henituse!"

"WE WERE WRONG! Can not YOU UNDERSTAND WHY HYUNG'S DOING ALL THIS? Can not YOU REALLY UNDERSTAND THAT THE COUNTY BECAME HIS PRISON? YOU CAN GIVE HIM ALL THE WEALTH! ALL THE THINGS HE WANTS! YOU CAN GIVE HIM EVERYTHING HE NEEDS AND PROVIDE FOR HIM UNTIL THE END!"

That is what I am saying.

That is what he gleaned from Cale's words. The reason he did not want to go back.

It is heartbreaking that even blood relatives can betray each other.

Cale felt cheated.

He was waiting for everything on his own.