November 2023 | »When Last Night Didn't End« by @Exequinne

Happy November and NaNoWrimo! It is very exciting to have  Exequinne with us to feature their book »When Last Night Didn't End« as our book of the month! Underneath you can find the next interview where we talked to the author and learned more about their story!

AUTHOR BIO

Caeran is a twenty-something, Asian author who has nine cats—all of which don't exist. A builder of worlds and a crazy writer at heart, they have titled more series than they could ever write, ending up with a queue to last them until they're seventy. Find completed and ongoing works on their Wattpad profile, Exequinne.

☾ ⋆・゚:⋆・゚

PREMISE

Joon Hye-jin and Nagara Rin have just gone through a divorce. What happens when they get trapped inside a video game, and the only way out is to work together and defeat an ancient evil rising inside it?

☾ ⋆・゚:⋆・゚

TEASER

From the corner of my eyes, I saw flashes of dark fur and different shades of metal glinting in the pockets of sunlight streaming through the canopies and undergrowth. My feet slapped solid cobblestones the moment I leaped over the last curving trunk. The city. I made it. It should be easy to lose them here.

Wrong.

Not only did they stay on my tail like tics that wouldn't just piss off, they seemed to be herding me somewhere based on their positions on the roofs, the alleys, and the main street. I've never been in enough street fights to have any idea how to get myself out of this mess, and looking at my stats, I couldn't lean on magic too.

A knife streaked past my face, halting me on the spot. It fell to the ground with a hearty clatter. My cheek stung.

Oh, fuck it. Magic, it was. I didn't even realize I was running blind all this time, with the menu blocking most of my view of my surroundings. I focused on the skills list and on the little triangle on the lower left. I turned a random corner, bringing me to a narrower alley. My skills list flitted further, but all the latter skills were muted gray.

In the gaming world, that could only mean one thing—locked. Inaccessible.

Magic and weapons rained on me from everywhere, but the only injuries I have now were the pain creeping around my shoulder and cheek. Would it scar? I was about to find out. Or not.