† First day at school †

The alarm on the phone goes off and Killian grunts while reaching his hand towards the bedside table to turn it on to snooze

The alarm on the phone goes off and Killian grunts while reaching his hand towards the bedside table to turn it on to snooze. Just fifteen more minutes, he thought, snuggling his face into the pillow. He squinted his eyes to see if Bree had come to him during the night, but to his surprise, she hadn't.

The morning sun had already begun to shine through the blinds and Killian turned his back to the window and pulled the blanket over his head to escape the light.

It was the first day of school after the summer holidays and strangely enough, he longed to come back. Maybe not those early mornings or hands full of homework but meeting all the friends he hasn't been able to meet during the summer.

The alarms went off again and Killian reluctantly sat up and threw his legs over the edge of the bed. He rubbed his face, then scratched his chest while taking a minute to wake up. He heard the sound of the toilet flushing which meant Bree was already up. She had probably a stomachache, which she got every time she stressed or was nervous about something.

Killian walked straight out the back and lit a cigarette. Bree came out of the bathroom and walked up to the doorway.

"Good morning," she said in a whiny voice, stepping out onto the decking.

"Good morning. Were you able to sleep last night?"

She ran her hand through her hair and turned her face to the sun with her eyes closed. "Yes, but my neck is a little stiff. I should have brought my pillow instead."

"You mean that neck pillow your mum gave you?"

"Yes."

"I have one lying in the storage room somewhere. I'll look for it later."

"Thank you, that would be great," she said, looking at him. "God, I'm so nervous. I've already been to the bathroom twice."

She began massaging her stomach on the outside of her t-shirt, expressed her face painfully, and indicated that she wasn't feeling well.

"It's going to be fine. I'll be with you the first hour while the principal gives his speech and then I'll come to your classroom around lunchtime," he said comfortingly, putting an arm over her shoulders.

She made a whining noise and let her forehead fall to his chest. He began massaging her stiff neck softly to relax her while enjoying another puff of his cigarette.

"You will feel better once we are there, I promise."

Two hours later...

Killian parked his car at the school and looked at Bree who was sitting quietly on the seat next to him, taking deep breaths. It had taken her almost thirty minutes to just choose something to wear and, in the end, she took a short pink dress and white sneakers. Her hair was nicely wavy, and her lips glistened from her lip gloss.