CHAPTER 7--Valeno

Valeno reached solid ground almost an hour later. His shoulder was wrenched, and his head sore, but he immediately started to track Cassin's scent. Setting out, Valeno almost ran south, clutching sore ribs as he went.

As the sun rose above the trees, Valeno ran. He ran as if a whole Pack of Wolves was at his back. He ran for his dead parents and his live uncles; he ran for the stupid vampire he had saved–He couldn't let his uncles kill him–he had saved him. He ran for himself, hurtling through the trees at a tremendous speeds, racing along on four legs with a howl.

He had to get to the vampire palace.

Clawing himself onto a high ridge, Valeno surveyed his territory. A faint scent trail veered slightly westward as the sun lit up the trees. With a last look behind him, Valeno stepped across his borders. Pausing for a second and realizing no body was following him, Valeno launched into a sprint.

When he reached the outskirts of the palace he slowed, shifting back to a humanoid form. Creeping forward, Valeno scanned the area. Shouts exploded into the air–there was fighting. Valeno saw Wolves everywhere; fighting vampires, breaking stone, and killing. Everywhere he looked Valeno saw vampires dying–but where was his vampire? Where were his uncles?

Cassin was petrified. All around him his brothers and sisters were being murdered and he could do nothing about it.

"How do you like it, little vampire?" Jalno jeered from Cassin's right. "Tell them to stop fighting or they all die."

Cassin looked around. "I need a higher point," he said softly.

Jalno glared at him. A second later Cassin yelled in pain as Jalno's claws sliced open his cheek. "Find a place," he hissed coldly.

A crumbling turret caught Cassin's eye. "Up there," he said. 

    Over a mile away a familiar bloodscent reached Valeno's nostrils–Cassin. Valeno ran without thought towards the source. Pack Wolves were all around him but they paid him no heed. Valeno danced over dead vampires and Wolves, wrinkling his nose in disgust. So many vamps had been killed. Their bloodscent filled the air, sour and nauseating. Valeno sped up. Soon, as the sun reached its highest point, Valeno heard Cassin's voice.

"Stop fighting brothers; cease struggling sisters." All around, vampires were surrendering hearing their prince's plea.

"No, no, no," Valeno growled, the vamps needed a chance to fight back. Just like Cassin's sister. They needed a chance to fight and leave scars just like the ones Valeno bore.  

  Crouching down, Valeno hid downwind of his uncles and Cassin. What was he going to do now? His uncles were too close for him to sidle in and snatch Cassin. He still wasn't sure what he'd do with the vampire once he rescued him, but he couldn't let him die. If he had indeed killed the sister, then it was only right to let the brother live. Valeno didn't want to be a contributor to the vampire's pain but it was too late for that. At least he hadn't killed the mother as well.

"Where are you?" Valeno muttered to himself. Where was Cassin? The werewolf crept forward until he could see a tall shape standing atop a ruined turret with three other humanoid figures at its base. "There you are," Valeno said.

Cassin was crying, Valeno could see the tears from his vantage point. At his command, vampires were ceasing to struggle, though many lay dead around them. "Don't fight anymore, my people," Cassin pleaded. "This is not the way out. Lay down your weapons for your own lives."