Chapter 9

The cool spring air blows through the trees as I walk up to Noah. The sun has begun to set, and the warm pink tones of the sky illuminate his features. We're in Bailey Park, a sprawling area of green on the edge of town. We share a quick kiss, and he holds my hand as we walk.
"Good to see you," he says, a smile on his lips.
"You literally saw me yesterday," I respond playfully.
"It's been too long!" he laughs, and I can't help but laugh too.
We walk down one of the many paved paths in the park, as the leaves sway back and forth.
"The sky is so pretty... would you mind taking a picture and sending it to me?" Noah asks me. "I kinda left my phone at the synagogue. I was helping my dad out, and he needed me for someone's bar mitzvah."
"Of course," I say, snapping a quick pic. "I know your dad's a Rabbi, but I wasn't sure if you were Jewish or not."
"Well," he says, as we continue along the path. "I don't know how much I believe in it, but I like to at least celebrate the holidays and things like that. It helps me feel closer not just to my parents, but also my grandparents and all the other people who came before them who fought for a place in society. I just like having a tradition to follow, and a community to be a part of."
"If you don't mind me asking, how did your parents feel when you came out?" I ask, curious.
"So, I actually told them pretty young. I guess I kind of always knew, and I saw no point in hiding it. I'm so happy to have had a good experience, but so many others out there aren't as lucky, and I can't help but wonder what I would've done if something happened. But, thankfully, nothing bad happened and they just responded with love and affection. I'm really glad they never doubted me or didn't trust me to know myself, and now they sing along with me to Lady Gaga songs and understand when I say 'slay' and... I'm rambling again, aren't I"
"No! Well, maybe a little..." I say with a laugh.
"I just feel so comfortable around you, like you know me. I mean, that night when we first kissed, I just felt like I could talk to you about anything. I don't feel like I need to limit myself around you," he says as we make our way along the winding path.
"What about your coming out?" he inquires.
"Well, my mom has always been an ally and had gay friends and stuff, so when I showed an interest in boys when I was little, she automatically accepted me and I never really had to come out because I was just always out. I mean, when Leah came out as bi a couple years ago my mom was also super supportive of her too. To be honest, I think my mom's too much of an ally, because she produced two little gaybies."
We laugh as we walk over to the wooden bench that lies in the center of a circular path.
I just sit there for a second, looking at him.
"What?" he asks.
"I just... really want to kiss you right now," I say timidly.
"Well then do it-" he starts to say, but I cut him off with my lips on his. It's a sweet kiss, soft and tender, and we sit like that for a little, the stars shining bright above us.
"So, I wanted to talk about the election. It's two weeks from now," Noah says after we finish our kiss. "Hopefully we can relieve some tension between us. I just thought maybe talking about it would make it feel less like some unspoken elephant in the room and more just something that's happening."
We get up and keep walking as Noah talks to me.
"I think everyone just expected me to run, and I didn't want to let anyone down. Obviously I would have fun as President and I would want to help, but I'm just not sure that it would be a goal to strive for if people weren't pressuring me to do it. Speaking of goals, any plans of what to do if elected?"
"That was kinda me too," I tell him. "Because I'm such a stereotypical nerd, Class President is just a box they expect me to check off. But, I do really think I can make our school a better place. I mean, I'm already an overachiever. It's not like you can over-overachieve, and this is just the perfect opportunity to do some good for the school community. And the amount of plans I have?  You would not believe it."
"What are they?" he asks with interest.
"Repairing sports equipment, improving the library, fixing the desks, getting better food options in the cafeteria..." and as I list things off, I can't help but feel comfortable with Noah (which is something I never thought I would say).
At this point, the sky is darkening and the glow of the moon lights our path through the park.
"Hey," Noah mentions after some more time has passed. "I live a couple of blocks away from you, right? So if I stopped by your house on my way to school, would you wanna walk with me?"
"Of course!" I reply with a smile. "I'll take any excuse to spend more time with you."
We share one more kiss before exchanging goodbyes. Noah looks like he's about to say something, but changes his mind at the last minute. As he walks away, I catch a glimpse of something in his eye. Regret.