Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Ch. 19: You Should Have Left

Ashton

Gustav is already waiting at our table when I arrive. His grey hair is as disheveled as always, and his figure is even thinner than I saw him last. Yet, he won't give up smoking because cigarette is his religion. Once he sees me enter the restaurant, his thick mustache tweaks, a sign that he's smiling.

I slip into a chair across from him and eye our table. "I told you not to wait. Why haven't you ordered?" I say, grabbing the menu card. We always skip greetings or weather talks when we meet in person because we share the same motto: Time is money, and money is power.

"I've ordered something for me." He gestures at the cup in front of him.

I glance at him from behind the card and raise an eyebrow. "Just coffee?"

"That's my breakfast."

"Very well, then." I haven't been to this hotel restaurant before, but I'm not going to waste my time scanning the menu to see what entices me. This isn't a leisure breakfast meeting, after all. When the waiter stops at our table, I order two plain croissants and a cup of black coffee. It's how I usually determine a restaurant's quality.

Gustav grabs his backpack and retracts a brown folder. He slides the document slowly in my direction. "A little gift from Europe."

I want to check what is inside, but I don't want to attract people's attention. Unlike Gustav, who can slip into random places unnoticed because he can become anyone, my presence tends to make people stop and stare, whether they know me or not. But I know the folder contains some photographs and proofs I requested from him.

Gustav has been my personal investigator since I started my career at Knight & Co., way before Harvey and I agreed to merge our companies. He used to be Chadrick's father's advisor when the Maxwells still owned an insurance company, and I was well acquainted with him because of it. Alas, their business went downhill, and they suffered bankruptcy. Gustav gave up his career in corporate life altogether, but that was also the beginning of my business relationship with him.

"Thank you," I say and slip the folder into my suitcase.

"I looked into the rest of the companies on the same cargo ships, and there's an interesting development. Each of them seems to have a history with S's empire. One of them even went through a nasty lawsuit a decade ago."

As if watching a bomb explode in front of me, I freeze in my spot. I even stop breathing for a few moments. So, it's true. I knew Sauer had something to do with the incidents. That fucking bastard. He's not getting away with it this time.

"Are you positive?" I ask, my voice coming out as a growl.

"Yes, but–"

"I want the supporting file sent to me before noon."

"Ashton..." Gustav shakes his head. "I think it's better to wait until we have all the evidence we need."

"Bullshit. What more evidence do we need? The pattern is very obvious. It can't be just a fucking coincidence. Who'd buy that crap?" I lean forward and lower my voice, but my adrenaline is anything but low. "Two cargos. Thirteen fucking companies."

"I'd still do a double-check because this can turn into a very serious accusation, Ashton."

"Hell, yeah. And I'll make sure this is not going to be an empty accusation."

"Asht–"

"Thirteen companies, Gustav. Three companies are coincident. But thirteen?" I crack a cynical smile. "I will get him this time. You'll see."

Gustav sighs and leans back in his chair. "I can't believe I will eventually say this." He drums his fingers on our table. "I don't have a good feeling about this. I'm scared for you."