chapter 30

Upon hearing these words, Yuan Li was only slightly surprised for a moment.

"Xiao Ce, the strategist who accompanied Zhan Shaoning all the way to Youzhou?"

Yuan Li sat down at the table and gestured for Liu Jixin to sit as well. "The one who stood by Zhan Shaoning's side, thin with a beard, and touched his great sword when he saw me?"

He neither hurriedly asked for the reason nor dismissed Liu Jixin's words. Instead, he calmly assumed a posture for a long conversation, displaying a dignified and composed attitude.

Liu Jixin was both surprised and delighted as he sat beside Yuan Li. "My lord, you noticed these things when you were catching up with Zhan Shaoning?"

Yuan Li nodded.

Unable to contain his excitement, Liu Jixin clapped his hands and laughed heartily. "Very well! Since my lord has noticed him, please allow me to speak. Xiao Ce must not be allowed to stay!"

Yuan Li patiently asked, "Why is that?"

Liu Jixin's expression changed, and he solemnly said, "My lord, as you know, I once followed Zhan Qibo, and Xiao Ce was Zhan Qibo's closest strategist. This person is talented, but after exhausting all his family property in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain the position of a xiaolian, he developed deep resentment towards the Northern Zhou court. His behavior and actions have become extreme. He is opinionated and particularly fond of influencing his lord's thoughts. Moreover, he excels at winning people's hearts and often turns others' subordinates into his own. Most importantly, my lord, he recognizes his lord as Zhan Qibo, not Zhan Shaoning!"

The last point was the most crucial.

Xiao Ce may not see Zhan Shaoning as his lord, but he accompanied him all the way to Youzhou. No one knows if he really intended to seek revenge for his former master or if he had other motives. However, Zhan Shaoning had an extreme level of trust in Xiao Ce.

Yuan Li recalled his conversation with Zhan Shaoning earlier in the evening. Before Liu Jixin spoke these words to him, Yuan Li had sensed Zhan Shaoning's excessive reliance on Xiao Ce, but he had only assumed it was due to the deep bond formed between them during their escape. However, upon reflection, Zhan Shaoning's words and undertones revealed a degree of being influenced by Xiao Ce's ideas. Whatever Xiao Ce said, Zhan Shaoning would listen, and if this continued, Xiao Ce might turn Zhan Shaoning into a pawn to fulfill his own ambitions.

Yuan Li tapped his fingers lightly on the table as he contemplated.

Liu Jixin whispered, "My lord, keeping Xiao Ce in the rear will only be nurturing a malignant tumor."

Yuan Li paused his finger tapping, raised his gaze to meet Liu Jixin's steady gaze, and spoke, "So, do you think I would kill Xiao Ce for this?"

Liu Jixin was taken aback for a moment, then let out a bitter smile. "My lord..."

"I have taken your words to heart," Yuan Li said slowly. "But you have been by my side for a long time, and you should know what kind of person I am. If I were to kill a strategist who traveled a long distance to join me based on just two of your sentences, would you still believe in me? How would I face Zhan Shaoning and the people of the world?"

Liu Jixin remained silent.

Yuan Li smiled faintly. "I understand your concerns, Chang Yue. I will have someone keep an eye on Xiao Ce and take precautions against him in advance. However, I also want to see for myself who this person truly is. Even if I have to kill him, I will do so only after he has truly made a mistake."

Liu Jixin looked at his young lord, dressed in a simple inner garment, bathed in the warm glow of the candlelight. The boy smiled gently, yet his tone was remarkably firm. In that moment, Liu Jixin was reminded of the time when he was estranged by Zhan Qibo after a few words from Xiao Ce.