chapter 58

With Chu Hechao's help, there was a qualitative breakthrough in the progress of the vertical windmill.

After finishing the gears, Yuan Li checked the spur gear and the bevel gear to see if they could mesh together. To his surprise, the two gears successfully meshed together perfectly, with a high level of compatibility. The problem that had troubled him for a day or two was solved just like that.

Yuan Li looked up at Chu Hechao in astonishment, his admiration evident. "General, how did you even know about this?"

Chu Hechao brushed off the wood chips from his hand and replied casually, "Getting older, you learn a bit of everything."

"True," Yuan Li nodded in agreement. "My father is only about ten years older than you."

Chu Hechao remained silent.

Yuan Li chuckled and walked over to the side of the vertical windmill, carefully installing the two gears. During the process, he suddenly felt a pain in his palm. Frowning, he realized a piece of wood with an unsmooth surface had grazed his hand, leaving a shallow cut.

Without paying much attention to it, Yuan Li shook his hand and intended to continue working. However, Chu Hechao walked over, forcefully snatched the gears from his hand, and pulled him away from the vertical windmill by his collar, saying in a deep voice, "Step aside."

Yuan Li was pushed away, and when he took a closer look, he saw Chu Hechao squatting down in his place. With a strong back, his thigh muscles taut, Chu Hechao began tinkering with the vertical windmill.

His palm glided over the wood, his rough hands calloused and thick-skinned. Whenever he encountered a splinter, he plucked it out. His tone was gruff, but his movements were careful and meticulous.

Yuan Li knew that Chu Hechao was helping him, feeling a mix of amusement and warmth. He stood aside and watched for a while, noticing Chu Hechao's dry lips. He then said, "I'll go fetch some water."

Shortly after Yuan Li left, Guo Lin hurriedly arrived. When he saw Chu Hechao, he was somewhat surprised and respectfully saluted, "General, do you know where the Lord has gone?"

"He'll be back soon," Chu Hechao glanced at him, his gaze indifferent. "What do you need to see him for?"

It wasn't something that couldn't be discussed, so Guo Lin honestly explained, "Two elders from our family have arrived in Ji County. They just went to visit Chu Wang Mansion. I came to inform the Lord."

"Elders?" Chu Hechao asked. "Which elders?"

Guo Lin replied, "They are the grandchildren of the patriarch, Uncles, Yuan Lou and Yuan Dan."

Chu Hechao had never heard of these two individuals' names, but that was normal. Regardless of whether Chu Hechao was a traditional scholar or not, his background always placed him in the upper class, among the most outstanding scholars. Families like the Yuan clan, from humble origins, would never catch Chu Hechao's attention if it weren't for fortuitous circumstances.

He didn't care about these two individuals. After instructing Guo Lin to wait for Yuan Li's return, Chu Hechao shifted his focus back to the vertical windmill in his hands.

This scaled-down vertical windmill was not as tall as him, only reaching his chest. Chu Hechao assembled the pieces of wood, matching the indentations and protrusions, then suddenly asked, "How long have you been by Yuan Li's side?"

Guo Lin replied, "It has been eleven years since the beginning of the year when I started serving the Lord."

Chu Hechao removed another splinter and casually asked, "How did Chu Mingfeng and Yuan Li meet?"