chapter 57

Chu Hechao ran out of the estate as if there were predators chasing him. He dared not stop until he found himself by a frozen stream in the fields.

The cold weather turned his breath into white mist. Chu Hechao stood in place for a while, then squatted by the river, absentmindedly staring at the frozen surface.

His reflection appeared on the water, disheveled and terrified. But as the reflection shifted and transformed, it turned into another face with rosy lips and white teeth.

Chu Hechao was frightened, his face turning pale. He quickly reached out and shattered the image on the water's surface.

The distorted figure swayed, and the broken pieces of ice dispersed, leaving no reflection behind.

However, Chu Hechao's complexion did not improve. He glanced to the side and noticed that his hand was trembling uncontrollably.

How absurd it was that the hand of the Northern Zhou War God was trembling because of a young man.

As the sky gradually darkened, Chu Hechao remained motionless, as if his thighs were frozen in place. It seemed like he was thinking about many things, yet also as if he was thinking about nothing at all. His mind was blank, and cold sweat even formed on his forehead in the midst of winter.

Under the cover of the night, the river before him transformed. It no longer appeared as a river but became a chaotic abyss of incestuous darkness.

Familial ethics, righteousness, integrity, and honor—all of it morphed into monstrous entities that surrounded Chu Hechao and tormented him.

"You actually have feelings for your sister-in-law?"

"What are you thinking?"

"—He is your elder brother's wife."

"He was given to Chu Mingfeng by your parents!"

Chu Hechao couldn't shake off the words that the Xiongnu Chanyu had tried to provoke him with. They echoed in his ears again and again.

Chu Hechao's face remained expressionless, but his eyes were filled with turmoil.

Even if he wanted to deny it, he had come to accept the truth: he did have feelings for Yuan Li that went beyond being just relatives.

His heart pounded, and he had an intense desire to consume and possess Yuan Li. Foolish and restless thoughts emerged from deep within his bones. Both mentally and physically, Chu Hechao had crossed a line when it came to Yuan Li.

It wasn't the kind of affection a brother-in-law should have for his sister-in-law; it was the burning desire of a man to play with and possess the person he desired.

Such impure thoughts were clearly taboo.

Moreover, Yuan Li and Chu Mingfeng seemed to share a deep connection.

Chu Hechao breathed heavily, revealing hints of pain. His vision blurred momentarily, as if he could see Chu Mingfeng's cold gaze fixed on him.

Chu Mingfeng sneered coldly, taunting him, "Ciye, when I asked you to take care of my wife, did I mean for you to care for him in this way?"

Chu Hechao said, "Get lost."

His voice vanished into thin air, and Chu Hechao closed his eyes.

After a few days, Yuan Li's wind-chill illness completely recovered.

The physician was astonished by how quickly he had healed. Yuan Li believed it might have been because he soaked his feet in saltwater infused with Sichuan pepper every day. He shared this method with Liu Jixin and advised him to do the same. As a result, Liu Jixin's condition also improved significantly.